The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3586 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Dave, Thomas, Mark – fab! :thumbright:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3587 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:49 pm Dave, Thomas, Mark – fab! :thumbright:
Have you ventured out on your new steed yet Mike or are your tootsies still too tender?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3588 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Unfortunately no, still shlepping about in oversized slippers. Even to the taxi and back. :( Not dared try socks yet. Can't drive yet. Riding a motorbike or bicycle is out of the question.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3589 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Don't know why I should have left it 'til now (ignorance?), but I've been reading the Tredz site pages about how to set up your bike (Tredz is where I bought it from). There are also links to good YouTube videos. And indeed, the bike does have various adjustments, apart from the most bleedin' obvious. This is all a bit of a revelation to me, last time I had a bicycle, when I was a kid, as far as I can remember you just got on it and off you went! :shock:

So, first thing I got to do is setting up, getting all the leg angles right and that kind of thing, before I try going anywhere on with it.

Did you know you have to choose a frame size to suit your height? (Which I did.) 'Cause they come in different sizes.

It occurred to me only very recently that I can use the cemetery roadways to practice on, (it has its own little road network) before risking actual roads. :D

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3590 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:24 pm

Did you know you have to choose a frame size to suit your height? (Which I did.) 'Cause they come in different sizes.
Yep, it makes a world of difference too. Its like wearing the right size shoes really, get it right and you can go miles and miles in comfort.

This website is another good place to find info on all things bike related too Mike https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3591 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Thanks for that! :thumbright:

By the way this morning I found that photo of you again as a kid, and wondered if that bike was adjustable..... :D

Ray P

#3592 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

What Mr. Bass said 👍

I don't think you need it Mike but there are some good bike shops that provide a fitting service - and it's not just about comfort but also not wasting energy so getting things right makes a big difference - sometimes just a few millimetres of adjustment can be a revelation. Also, bikes often come with a cheap 'compromise' saddle and swapping to a different one when you get things more or less sorted can help a lot.

And ride your bike like you would drive your car, when you start to labour change down - try to keep a fairly constant cadence that is comfortable, not to fast, not to slow - until you run out of gears of course, then you labour!

Also, look after your bike, give it some TLC occasionally, especially the drive chain, and remember that poorly inflated tyres are hard work, apart from doing them no good.
Ray P

#3593 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

One reason why I do most of my riding on the smart trainer in the garage at this time of year...

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3594 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

As you get older with more broken and wobbly bits (!), especially where backs, knees, hips etc. are involved, having a proper bike fitting is sooooooo important (IMHO).
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#3595 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:14 pm As you get older with more broken and wobbly bits (!), especially where backs, knees, hips etc. are involved, having a proper bike fitting is sooooooo important (IMHO).
Assuming you're talking about a professional bike fitting, I'm not so sure as, for the bike investment Mike has made and the sort of riding he's likely to do, the benefits of a bike fitting are unlikely to justify the cost (£100 upwards, probably around £200 average). There's good guidance available on-line that should enable a good set-up to be achieved, certainly good enough for this use-case - I think the target should be to feel comfortable at this level. I agree that if he gets the bug a bike fitting might be beneficial but you still need to consider why you're having a bike fitting - the fastest riding position won't be the same as the most comfortable position.

FWIW, I've never had a professional bike fitting but have achieved bike set-ups that enable me to ride reasonably quickly for hours without stopping and without aches/pains (other than muscle fatigue of course).
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3596 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ray P wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:08 pm What Mr. Bass said 👍

I don't think you need it Mike but there are some good bike shops that provide a fitting service - and it's not just about comfort but also not wasting energy so getting things right makes a big difference - sometimes just a few millimetres of adjustment can be a revelation. Also, bikes often come with a cheap 'compromise' saddle and swapping to a different one when you get things more or less sorted can help a lot.
Yep I get that. That's the kind of thing the videos were banging on about. (Guest speaker giving the advice is also a doctor apparently.)
And ride your bike like you would drive your car, when you start to labour change down - try to keep a fairly constant cadence that is comfortable, not to fast, not to slow - until you run out of gears of course, then you labour!
Yep I get that! I'm not after setting any records, just be able to cover more ground in lieu of walking.
Also, look after your bike, give it some TLC occasionally, especially the drive chain, and remember that poorly inflated tyres are hard work, apart from doing them no good.
Yep got that. I already got a chain cleaning and oiling regime I would apply for the Cadwell and Bantam. :D

Ta chasps for your inputs.... :D

I'm still only just starting to get used to wearing socks again so I'm away off yet.....

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3597 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ray P wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:20 pm One reason why I do most of my riding on the smart trainer in the garage at this time of year...
Yep! :shock:

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3598 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

I came across this photo from Nottingham circa 1910 and wondered what the cycling suit might have looked like ?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3599 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

And then, I found this. :lol:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3600 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

That fella in the first picture is risking a nasty case of crushed sweetbreads.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"