Very simple streaming

Subjects that don't have their own home
shane
Social outcast

#16 Re: Very simple streaming

Post by shane »

Alternatively take Raspberry Pi, add a Hifiberry Digi Plus Pro to give it a decent S/PDIF output (the DAC in my Quad Vena 2 doesn’t have a usb input), load it with PiCorePlayer so it thinks it’s a Squeezebox, add suitable plugins for your streaming services and you have a nice sounding and very small streamer for under £100. Always assuming you can find a Raspberry Pi at the moment, of course.

The downside for iPhone users like me is that the LMS web interface doesn’t work well and the only alternative is iPeng which is best described as clunky. However, I dug out a very ancient iPad, so old that it has the pre-lightning type charger socket, and installed Squeezepad which works beautifully.

The only thing I need now is a plug-in for LMS for IDAGIO which doesn’t look likely to happen but PiCorePlayer can function as an Airplay receiver so it’s only an inconvenience, not a show-stopper.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#17 Re: Very simple streaming

Post by Ant »

None of that means anything to me shane, i must be a luddite. I will admit i don't get on with computers through sheer ineptitude on my part

I have to admit that i have been looking at things like the yamaha nt670 which streams and has a cd player in it.

I have seen several pi 3s and 4s on ebay so getti g a second hand one seems easy enough but then who knows what is on them or what condition they are in
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
shane
Social outcast

#18 Re: Very simple streaming

Post by shane »

Don’t worry Ant, it’s pretty simple. I’m no computer whizz-kid but setting up that lot took me about an hour.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#19 Re: Very simple streaming

Post by Nick »

I have seen several pi 3s and 4s on ebay so getti g a second hand one seems easy enough but then who knows what is on them or what condition they are in
There is no local storage on a pi, so there is no "what is on them" to worry about. Storage is either a sd card or external via USB. As long as they are physically intact then they should be as good as new.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#20 Re: Very simple streaming

Post by vinylnvalves »

I took this route - http://www.modelpromo.nl/Audio-Dandy_st ... aphile.htm

It beat the touch had at the time, even with the EDO plugins which took the touch to a new level.

Plenty of plug/NUC computers out there - cheaper cosmetically challenged ones can be shrouded in nice wooden boxes.
brig001
Old Hand

#21 Re: Very simple streaming

Post by brig001 »

Simplest streaming for me is a Belkin SoundForm Connect
https://www.belkin.com/uk/audio-adapter ... UZ002.html

Somewhere between Bryant & May and Swan Vestas size wise, and use old iPad mini as the source, but our phones work too

Brian
Ant
Shed dweller

#22 Re: Very simple streaming

Post by Ant »

Decided to try tidal instead of spotify as they both have a free month trial and are the same price for a single account, i think tidal is actually cheaper for a family account
Tidal instantly sounded better. Dunno why, maybe the bit rate is different or something. I really ought to look at that.

Upshot is that ive cancelled the spotify trial and gone for tidal instead, and madam can take it or leave it :D

Ant
Shed dweller

#23 Re: Very simple streaming

Post by Ant »

Ive now stuck tidal on my phone aswell as the tablet and bought some b&w p5 on ear cans for not much money.

I am quite impressed with the p5s, they are the series 2 ones so have updated drivers in them. They are abit biased towards the bass end for my tastes, but are rather pleasant to listen to. Nice and smooth, really nice bass performance, really textured and deep, just a smidge bloomy here and there.

Just the top end is abit lacking. They have better bass than my audio technica at706 electret cans do but nowhere near the resolution.

Problem with the AT's is that i need an amp and a source. The amp is fine, its the dinky little nva a20, but a source is a problem because although i have plenty of spare sources, the space upstairs is very limited.

If i had another usb dac i could just take the tablet or phone upstairs but i dont, so the phone and p5s are much more convenient, enabling me to piss off out of the way while everyone is being loud and obnoxious and making it impossible to listen to anything downstairs

Problem i have now is that i keep buying and wanting to buy records that i get suggested by tidal....

izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#24 Re: Very simple streaming

Post by izzy wizzy »

Ant wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:35 pm
Tidal instantly sounded better. Dunno why, maybe the bit rate is different or something. I really ought to look at that.
Tidal is way better quality than Spotify. It also has a great catalogue and surprisingly good for classical. I just wish it had better organisation for favourite albums.