Wanted: digital slr camera

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#16 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:57 pm You can't use EFs lens's on a full frame Canon digital camera (such as an EOS 5d), but you can use EF lens's on an EFs body.

The only thing is, the effective focal length changes. So, a 50mm EF lens on an EFs body is more like 70mm (from memory).It's all to do with the back focus distance in the body.

If you can get IS lens's all the better, the IS (image stabilisation) is a godsend with longer focal lengths, and good for all focal lengths.
Its to do with the size of the digital image capturing thing’s surface area relative to 35mm film surface area. Digital smaller so shows a % of the image the lens designed for film can reveal.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ant
Shed dweller

#17 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by Ant »

Well the lens chat has been rendered moot as emma has got me a setup from her uncle.
An eos 1000d body with cap
8gb card
Standard ef-s 18-55 lens with both caps
Ef-s 55-250 is lens with a hood and both caps
Original canon bag
Original canon charger
Original set of cds for the image suite
A chinese branded flash gun
And another bag which has space for both lenses

Plenty there to get me confused
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#18 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by simon »

Those two zooms will cover most of what you'll likely want to do. Unless you get into wildlife perhaps.
Ant
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by Ant »

Depends if you classify the dog as wildlife...... maybe the kestrels we have in the area, one nearly hit me in the face a couple of months ago swooping in for a pigeon that was on the roof of a bungalow abit further up the road!

The bungalows are built on land lower than the road so the rooflines are only about 5 feet above head height, the pigeon was going for its loft which is at the front of the house at the side of the drive. Scared the crap out if me. It then sat there on the tv aerial. Never seen one that close up before, less than 20 feet away. Scary looking bugger and bigger than i thought. Was only going to the shop for some milk!

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#20 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by simon »

250 will probably be more than adequate for the kestrels. There's a trade off though - the bigger the magnification the harder it is to actually find things that are moving, and the faster the shutter speed needs to be to get a non-blurry image. Unless that's what you're trying for. And you'll probably need a tripod to avoid shake. One of the reasons those big lenses you see pros using for wildlife and sport is because they need a lot of glass to maximise light through it so a small aperture can be used and thus a faster shutter speed.
Ant
Shed dweller

#21 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by Ant »

The eternal balancing act
Thanks for the advice so far simon, i think ill start a proper photography thread once ive had a play with the thing and started to wrap my head around the fundamentals

Then pick the brains of people who actually know what they are doing

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by IslandPink »

simon wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:19 pm .... is because they need a lot of glass to maximise light through it, so a small aperture can be used and thus a faster shutter speed.
"... so a large aperture can be used ( = a lower f/number ) and thus a faster shutter speed "
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#23 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by simon »

Aha! I'm glad you're paying attention Mark! Yes a small f stop, which indeed is a large physical aperture.