What should we do about rising energy prices?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#151 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Nick »

But nothing we write on here will change anything.
Then this place has literally no purpose. We may as well be talking to our self. I don't believe that's the case.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#152 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by pre65 »

From one of my heating oil suppliers.

"On Thursday, our new prime minister Liz Truss announced an energy price guarantee of £2,500 per year for a typical household that relies on electricity and gas to heat their homes. The cap will last two years and is based on the average household bill.

Even though heating oil households are not eligible for the energy price guarantee, it was announced that there would be equivalent financial support provided to heating oil homes this winter in the form of a discretionary fund.

Liz Truss:

“For those using heating oil, living in park homes, or those on heat networks, we will set up a fund so that all UK consumers can benefit from equivalent support.”

Once we have the details on how the heating oil fund will be distributed, we’ll be in touch to keep you fully up to date."
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#153 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by pre65 »

I've spoken to a few heating oil distributors, and none are aware of any "help" given by the government.

As it's getting cold, and my oil tank was low, I've ordered 700 litres to fill it up.

£637.83 inc VAT. (91.1p per litre)

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#154 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Nick »

All the quotes you made from the government are in the future tense, so maybe they will wait till the spring until bringing in any help.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#155 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

Finally getting the new gas boiler fitted... only challenge is there aren’t the boilers I wanted to fit available. Looking like only BAXI regular boilers are available, or other variants from the same group. They come with a 10 year warranty, but not sure about them, lots of plastic. They don’t seem to have the priority hot water option and only modulation of 50%. Not sure if the later is that important. Fit one, or wait for a better one...... decisions decisions
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#156 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by pre65 »

For the first time, since I had the electricity smart meter, my daily usage has gone over £2. It's because my old plan has expired, and I'm now on the standard variable rate. :(

Edmund Burke

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#157 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Paul Barker »

Well our anual useage of gas and electric has been over 3gs for years. So our only hope is to simply acclimatise. I decided to put the heating set point @ 16 C day time and 15 C night time. In old 1860 houses with solid walls this is better than turning it on and off, because of the hospital heating system which transfers to solid walled houses. Maintain the heat of the walls. otherwise you get “flat battery” situation which takes two or three days to build back up if the walls are aloud to get cold.

You can easily adjust youre bodies expectations to 16 C. Its not that dramatic. Obvs we wear plenty of warm clothes and a beeny.

Yesterday morning this time it was almost on, for the first time so far 16.1.

soon after the clear sky was visible, saving the day

Roxy is coping OK

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#158 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

Central heating has now gone on. The threshold of 15 degs reached. I was lagging the pipes under the floor yesterday in the crawl space. Only had a layer of felt around them. So uppered that to something OTT. Not much point having an efficient boiler if wasting energy heating up the vented space under the floor. My body didn't like crawling around, didn't have so many pains when I last went down there 20years ago.
Michael L
Old Hand

#159 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Michael L »

I'm buying an electrically heated throw for my wife and we're limiting ch use by heating one room with the log burner. Just feeling fortunate that we can opt to use the ch when it gets colder unlike many for whom a warm home has become unaffordable.
Paul Barker

#160 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Paul Barker »

A home I attended last week: The man is an extreme case of its everyone’s fault but mine the antipathy of Nina Simone song. But thats only to be expected when youre back doing insurance work.

On topic, everyone under quilts in prone position, hardly moving an inner ear bone, no other movement detectable.

Danger danger. Inactivity was preached against in primary school of my generation. The sermon was in the form of a parable. Cutting to the quick I’ll paraphrase (whatever that means)

….. “there was a man children who stayed in bed and died”!

Activity is good for you, get out from youre electric heated clothing, pick up youre bow saw and cut youre own wood, you’ll warm yourself twice” Old Amos, The Dalesman. Id add, and youll be healthier stronger and happier than those indoors waiting for you to bring the result of your labours to them!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#161 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Nick »

and youll be healthier stronger and happier than those indoors waiting for you to bring the result of your labours to them!
Ahh, the old protestant work ethic. Doesn't work if those waiting indoors are rich enough to have their own gym and just pay peons like you and me to deliver them stuff.
andrew Ivimey

#162 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

We're gonna need a revolution... or so they say.

I can keep busy or diverted from the dreadful clinging creeping insidious vile cold for so long...till say 4-00pm, sometimes bitterly clinging on till 6-00 when the central heating goes on and a bottle of wine shakingly, desperately and gratefully opened. Me, not the wine.

From a smug (pre October price hike of) £10 and under to mid November grudgingly, teeth clenching the CH on for a while to the awfulness of last week where the CH could not get Beds Towers above 14degrees for over £100 the week. Now we're heading for around £70.

We're doomed!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#163 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by ed »

ditto our man in Bedfoed...since the boy finished school and the mem sahib has been at home we've had the central heating on and the best it can do is 16 degrees.....

now they've shipped off to France for the jollies I'm back to minimum use.

We are still at war with the electricity company(SSE now called OVO) and have been since late 2019 when they installed a smart meter, which worked for 3 months and then failed to communicate with the mother ship. We have had exhorbitant estimated bills since. I've complained vocifierously over the intervening period but had no acknowledgement from them. I finally gave up in October and got the onmbudsman on it...the ombudsman dictated that we should get an apology + a goodwill payment + a new meter + realignment of fuel cost and reimbursement. The electricity company have failed to honour or obey the ombudsman and we have had no acknowledgement whatsoever.

I am terrified of using any electricity....

We continue to get estmated bills + one with an adjustment figure of +£400. We also get email requests to supply meter readings on their web site. The website refuses to accept our readings because the web page requires 2 readings(1 day time and 1 off-peak) and our smart meter only shows 1 reading.....

meanwhile every bill received shows a higher figure as we haven't paid one since October, waiting for reparation.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#164 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

Our electricity costs generally higher than the gas per day. Last week we broke £70/week. Mother in law coming for xmas so heating may have to go above 17c, so could be a costly week if it remains cold. Financially and mentally :D
Went around the idea of a battery again, even when I assume I generate all our own electricity off PV, the battery break even point is 8 years. So currently better to invest that money. It needs electricity to rise to about 60p per kWh to make financial sense, installation costs have tracked the electricity price.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#165 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by pre65 »

When it's really cold outside my living room barely exceeds 16-17C, the hall is a tad warmer.

Now the outside temperature has risen the living room gets to a steady 20C. I could set it to get warmer, 21-22C would be much more acceptable, but the cost is not. It's not a great inconvenience to wear an extra layer of clothing, or even the tank suit if necessary.

Edmund Burke