Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#16 Re: Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Post by Toppsy »

Mark,
I have replaced the laser module twice on my own machine with no great problems.
Those plastic mouldings you refer are the transport suspension isolators. There should be 4 of them and they should slide off sideways. or compress (very carefully) the head of the isolator so you can pull the plastic case of the laser unit from the thing. However be careful removing these as they are irreplaceable unless you can find a donor machine. Once they are off it should be relative straight forward.

For what it worth I found that the strip wiring loom that folds over and turns back on itself and moves with the transport forward and backwards gets stress factures at the bend point. The inner track gets the most stress and its generally this track that splits on the inner edge. Easily spotted when you remove the old unit. This is likely the cause of your fault. It was this that happened on both the laser units I replaced. Also check the connectivity of all those small white multipin connectors.

I think I still have my old laser units. I could take a photo of the point of failure on the wiring strip.

EDIT. Found one my old laser units. Photo below of stress fracture of the inner track right at the tight radius bend.

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Post by IslandPink »

Ah ! , an expert > that's what i need.
Thanks for the picture, I can check that fault once it's out.
I can see what you mean by the suspension isolators, but I haven't got that far.
My problem is how to get off the fairly significant black plastic moulding at the back of the drawer assembly, so i can get access to all of those suspension isolators and the laser module as a whole.
I will try & take a picture or pics later, and put some arrows on there.

However your confidence in doing this will at least encourage me to buy a spare laser now.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#18 Re: Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Post by Toppsy »

Mark,

I'm no expert just general observation of the fixings and connections and working it all out with a little trial and error before I figured it out.

Manually pull the tray out so its in the open position to load a CD. The front half round strip (with the Compacr Disc lgo on) just prises off from the left . Place thumb on main frame and a finger underneath to create some leverage to push it up from that corner. It should lift up on that left side and then you are able to remove it. Don't be too heavy handed though. The main black plastic moulding is held in place by 2 screws at the rear. Unscrew these and after pushing the sliding CD tray back fully in you should be able to remove the unit. Be careful to disconnect all the leads attached to this. This should give you access to laser tray.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Post by IslandPink »

Toppsy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:54 pm The main black plastic moulding is held in place by 2 screws at the rear.
I took a few photos earlier, but they were all a bit crap and shaky.
Regarding the above point, here is the bit (orange arrow) I'm confused about how to remove.
By '2 screws at the rear' , do you mean the lower ones ( blue arrow ) - otherwise i can't see any screws at the rear.

Toppsy
Shed dweller

#20 Re: Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Post by Toppsy »

Mark,
the relative straight forward part is the removing of the transport. it gets more difficult after that and greater care is need to remove the rubber suspension mounts. Break or damage one of those and you are buggered.
If you are finding this part of the repair difficult to get your head around, I would suggest it may be wise to send the CD player to a professional repairer and let them replace a new laser assembly for you. Sorry not me. I'm happy to do this on my own machine but not to take the responsibility of undertaking the task for someone else. Best of luck.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Post by IslandPink »

Hang on a sec ...
I'm not asking you to do anything for me except offer your advice re. how to get access to the laser section.
Anyway I've already bought a laser module from Germany, you're in too deep !

Do you need me to sign a form promising not to launch any litigation, if it goes wrong ? :)

The worst that can happen is I have to buy an old CD4000 for spare parts.

Edit : I should mention that my experiences of getting a professional to do this were entirely negative. I got a guy in London to do a laser change on my Audio Note CD player, he charged me over £100 for the work, it cae back and wasn't working. When I returned it to him under warranty, he charged me another £110 , until i stared getting stroppy and I managed to get it back and the second charge cancelled. In the end I had to get it working myself.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Post by IslandPink »

Toppsy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:54 pm The main black plastic moulding is held in place by 2 screws at the rear. Unscrew these and after pushing the sliding CD tray back fully in you should be able to remove the unit. Be careful to disconnect all the leads attached to this. This should give you access to laser tray.
OK, so what I'm understanding from this, is that you have to get the whole (black) assembly out, and the key to removing all of the squishy clips is to get access from underneath ?
It does look like the part that I pointed to with the orange arrow, is always going to be in the way, from above. Seems like that, there's no sign of any split or sub-section around there, or any screws, clips etc.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#23 Re: Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Post by Toppsy »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:11 pm Hang on a sec ...
I'm not asking you to do anything for me except offer your advice re. how to get access to the laser section.
Anyway I've already bought a laser module from Germany, you're in too deep !

Do you need me to sign a form promising not to launch any litigation, if it goes wrong ? :)

The worst that can happen is I have to buy an old CD4000 for spare parts.
Go back and re-read what I actually wrote. Don't know how you reached that conclusion. Seems me trying to help you was a mistake. I think I'll bow out this thread before I get accused of anything else, as you seem to misread ones intentions. It was neigh on 10 years ago I replaced the laser on my machine and I was trying to recall the procedure from memory. I merely suggested if you were struggling to do the repair it may be best to get someone to do it for you. I intimated this would not be something I would be prepared to do for you, Knowing that it is very easy to damage the rubber suspension mounts that hold the laser tray assembly in place, bearing in mind the age of these rubber suspension mounts These have to be removed from the broken laser tray and refitted to the new one and it is not an easy task. Anyway good luck with the repair.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: Ah ! Njoe Tjoeb fault

Post by IslandPink »

The only conclusion i can reach from this, is that you completely mis-read the tone of my comments, which was somewhat tongue in cheek, as my posts often are on this forum. All I wanted was some advice. What pisses me off particularly is the sort of baggage that came with it, suggesting that I'm not the sort of person who should attempt anything that's delicate or a bit difficult to do.
Over & Out.