The Light

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 The Light

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Here in Hobbiton, The Shire, we have a high percentage of nutters; religious diversity gone bonkers and plenty of activists who, for example, make it difficult for parents to daily hand over their children to the safety of their teachers by handing out leaflets about vaccines, abortion, chlorine, global cooling - yes, even this.

So it came as no surprise that, as I munched my bran and sawdust breakfast cereal that a free newspaper plopped through my letter box.

Swigging coffee ( rolled on the thighs of Cuban virgins) I opened today's issue of THE LIGHT -The uncensored truth. My emotional reaction to this ridiculous dangerous garbage caused me to choke with apoplexy. But perhaps a more reasoned approach is required. Often scientific info is referenced and so it us up to me to follow them down.

I wonder though... is Life too short? And does any of you lot get the opportunity of reading this bollocks?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: The Light

Post by jack »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Light_Paper

Nutters.

There are some great anti-loony groups too.

Mind you, this was probably considered a loony fringe theory in its day (1912!):

Source:
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newsp ... 814.2.56.5
FB_IMG_1660899768357.jpg
FB_IMG_1660899768357.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: The Light

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:57 am
And does any of you lot get the opportunity of reading this bollocks?
I'm glad to say, no.

Living in a rural village has it's advantages. The worst we get is the occasional Jehova witness, and they are not really a problem. I usually say "I have my own belief, and don't discuss religion or politics on the doorstep" which they accept.

One day they "caught" me outside whilst cleaning my motorcycle. I said to the bloke, if you want to talk to me about motorcycles that's fine. He spent about 15 minutes in general bike related chit-chat then made his leave. Very polite and civilised. :)

Talking about Jehova witness, I notice they have a huge newish building between Galleywood and Stock in Essex, and the former Motel just up the road is owned by them as well. I believe the building is their international printing works. I go that way sometimes on the way home from visiting Mum.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/un ... helmsford/
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#4 Re: The Light

Post by andrew Ivimey »

And why should the Jehova's Witnesses not have a large newish building? I suppose they bought it. Even Jehovah doesn't provide on that level.

Jack - The Light is still, today even, denying climate change, coal etc etc. And I'd guess they'd be delighted to quote your historical example as
FACT and 'what scientists believe' blah blah.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#5 Re: The Light

Post by ed »

are those figures correct?

simplyfying by dividing both sides by 1 million....
2000 of the solid produces 7000 of the gas....both tons...

converting solid to gas...what is the volume of gas that weighs 7,000,000,000 tons....

cor blimey
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: The Light

Post by Nick »

Carbon 12
Oxygen 16

so 1 Carbon + 2 Oxygen = 44

44 * 2 / 12 = 7.3

So 2,000,000 tons of coal of 100% carbon and entirely converted to CO2 would produce 7.300.000 tons of CO2

So the figure looks entirely possible.
what is the volume of gas
1 mole of CO2 (or any gas) occupies 22.4 dm^3 at s.t.p, where 22.4 dm^3 is called molar volume of a gas at s.t.p.

One mole of carbon dioxide molecules has a mass of 44.01g

7,000,000 tons = 1016.05 * 7,000,000 kg = 81,235,000 kg = 1,845,830,494 moles of CO2 = 41,346,603,044dm^3

So the answer is 41,346,603,044L or 41.3 million cubic meters

So a cube 435 m per side or 26 cubic football fields

unless there are some errors in the above.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: The Light

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:24 am And why should the Jehova's Witnesses not have a large newish building? I suppose they bought it. Even Jehovah doesn't provide on that level.

As far as I know, they had it built for them, and absolutely no reason from me that they should not have done so.

I try not to rubbish peoples beliefs, I just don't feel the need to be converted.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: The Light

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:57 am And does any of you lot get the opportunity of reading this bollocks?
Yes, I got given a copy of The Light as I climbed down Glastonbury Tor a few months ago. Really.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey

#9 Re: The Light

Post by andrew Ivimey »

And...!?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#10 Re: The Light

Post by The Stratmangler »

He's seen The Light, hasn't he? :D
Chris :happy3:
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: The Light

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#12 Re: The Light

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ain't that the Truth! Lordee Lordee brother.
andrew Ivimey

#13 Re: The Light

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I have see the light( too) - ahem
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#14 Re: The Light

Post by izzy wizzy »

These loonies are lying low to get into councils etc to wield their influence. It seems now to be necessary to ask straight forward, unbiased questions to this lot to see what they really think so they don't get in by stealth.
andrew Ivimey

#15 Re: The Light

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Good point - I feel sure that it IS happening here in Hobbiton.