Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye, it's a rarity.

It also has on it, that well known ear worm:

Gimme dat gimme dat gimme gimme gimme dat,
Gimme dat ding gimme dat gimme gimme dat,
Gimme dat ding gimme dat gimme gimme dat,
Gimme gimme gimme dat ding!
(repeat)

What good's a metronome without a bell for ringing.
How else can anybody ever tell he's swinging.
How can you tell the rhythm written on the bar?
How can you ever hope, to know just where you are?

Oh gimme dat!
Gimme dat!
Gimme Dat gimme dat, gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme..(back to the top.)

All this nonsense in the same year The Moody Blues had "A Question of Balance," Caravan had In the Land of Grey and Pink," Nick Drake was being 'Bryter Later" and Genesis were busy "Trespass" -ing. :D
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun May 29, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#62 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I love a question of balance .

I also love the goodies doing gimme dat
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#63 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Modified both speakers . Only listening to sky (the wire ) but Im very optimistic . The soundstage is better and it’s just sounds more real .

Time for some music me thinks
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#64 Re: What should I hear?

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:43 pm
The soundstage is better and it’s just sounds more real .
Excellent. :)

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#65 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

It is so much more real and alive . No distortion or frequency anamolies . I’m listening at 89 to 94 db on average .

This forum as made me more sceptical and discerning but I’m struggling to hear any negatives , but it could all be expectatation bias 😉
Nick
Site Admin

#66 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Nick »

Sounds like a win then :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#67 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Nah , far to early .
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#68 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Sat here listening to Genesis last album with Collins , trying not to get a headache with people spouting received bullshit .

I’m thinking they may not be damped enough . One of the things with removing the x over is that it makes it sound more alive/real . The cynic in me is telling me it needs more damping , although I’ve enjoyed the records more than I have in ages .

I may experiment with blu tack

But it’s only day two . Although I tend to think 1st impressions are best .
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#69 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I’ve changed my mind again . Sat here listening to Phil Collins face value and it’s magic . Attack, instrument definition and decay , vocals with emotion . All the things I’m convinced the x over robbed .

I think I’m going to buy a second pair of drivers and dope them and compare .
karatestu
User

#70 Re: What should I hear?

Post by karatestu »

Hey DQ. I will try and give a flavour of my experience and hope I don't waffle on too much if go OT. Trying to keep this short.

It was a long road for me until I found what I wanted. No measurements but used a test tone cd a few times when I needed a clue to where a problem was. As you know I share your preference for minimal electrical xover but there was always something not quite right. I found and solved my problems by listening to as wide a range of music as possible for as long as possible.

Portishead Dummy highlighted the problems I had with bass. Then I had occasional experiences of notes on a particular instrument going off on one and taking my head off. I tried adjusting the tweeter's high pass filter which helped a bit but created a dip as I moved it higher and higher. I played some jazz with lots of flute on it. Certain notes made me cringe. I tried a few things that didn't work. It turned out that adding more dope cured it. There was no other option apart from adding an electrical low pass filter which I didn't want to do.

The better behaved the mid bass, the less dope is required (obviously). I ended up ditchling the cheap qtx drivers and used some decent b&w ones. Much better outcome. I ended up removing the dustcap, stuffing the voice coil cavity and terminating with a bit of card. The dope went right over the top of that. I stopped using contact adhesive and tried black butyl rubber gutter sealant. Works a treat as never goes hard, doesn't have loads of air bubbles in it and eventually can be removed when it has gone off.

Tried to keep that to the point and brief but failed, sorry. Flute was the thing that found the annoying break up from the kevlar mid bass. I kept adding a bit more gutter sealant until eventually it went away.
:bigsmurf:
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#71 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Thanks, worth thinking about.

I to ditched the cheap drivers .

Still not doped the bass or the mid driver and I’m listening to music not what I hear .

Got so many projects speakers have taken a back burner .

Got my definitive amp build and I’m working on a Lenco ptp with 3 pieces of 15 mm black acrylic .