mylar

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
ed
retired

#1 mylar

Post by ed »

does anybody know where to get 3.8-4.0 micron mylar in the uk.
I've mislaid my roll of 3.8 um, I knew exactly where it was 20 years ago, but it seems to have gone into hiding.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: mylar

Post by jack »

Does it have to be proper mylar?

I've always got mine from Banggood - normally arrived in a few days. Kapton too.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#3 Re: mylar

Post by Toppsy »

Ed,
If this is required for your ER Audio ESL speakers I have a couple rolls of the genuine Dupont Mylar film that Rob supplied with his kits.
One roll is the left over from my ESL Acorn build. The other is from a Quad 63 repair kit. I think both may be 3.5 micron but you'd have to measure it to be sure.

EDIT
Just checked my records as I have a electronic version of the build instructions and Quad63 repair kit instructions.
The contents list states supplied with the repair kit was 10 Metres 3.5um x 700 mm Dupont Mylar. I bought the kit to repair a pair 63's I bought from a guy down Milton Keynes way but it turned out the stator on one panel had de-bonded from the plastic matrix and the Mylar membrane was fine, so I never used the Mylar in the kit. So could be a 10m roll. Yours for a very reasonable remuneration.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: mylar

Post by jack »

I may well be interested in that too as I have a pair of esl63s in need of a rebuild...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#5 Re: mylar

Post by Toppsy »

Nick,
I passed on the ER Audio Quad63 repair kit to Andrew Lehane a while back. He still has it plus a CD and pdf electronic copy of the repair manual. This is a very comprehensive document written for novice diy'ers with loads of photos etc.

I have just spoken with Andrew and he will check out the contents (once he can find where he put the large cardboard tube with all the contents) and report back to me or post up on this thread direct. Andrew does not now need the kit as he is going to get them professionally repaired. So it can be offered to you if you want it. If there are any shortfalls in the kit Andrew will advise. But these are likely to be the bottle of cyano glue and primer. These can easily be purchased.

I'm sure now when I passed on the kit to Andrew it did have the full unused 10m roll of 3.5 micron Dupont Mylar in the tube so the 2 rolls I have here must be left over film from my original ER Audio ESLIII and Acorn ESR speaker kit builds.
ed
retired

#6 Re: mylar

Post by ed »

Hi Colin

many thanks for the offer. I am waiting for an email from Rob as I asked him to price the postage for 3m of the 3.8um stuff and some fluid, which I also need.

I remember stashing my roll and fluid thinking I would likely need it sometime in the future...and waddyaknow, I do need it, but can I find it!!!
I'm not 100% sure I do need it at the mo...I have more investigation to do...the esl3s are sounding a bit grainy/grungy/wooly sometimes but it might be psychological..there is so much distortion built into modern recordings that on occasion I can't tell if it is meant to sound like that or not.

so far i have changed the amp and measure the voltages.....onward.

I may well come back to you, depending what Rob says.....it will doubtless be subject to the brexit fiasco.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#7 Re: mylar

Post by Paul Barker »

ed wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:54 am Hi Colin

many thanks for the offer. I am waiting for an email from Rob as I asked him to price the postage for 3m of the 3.8um stuff and some fluid, which I also need.

I remember stashing my roll and fluid thinking I would likely need it sometime in the future...and waddyaknow, I do need it, but can I find it!!!
I'm not 100% sure I do need it at the mo...I have more investigation to do...the esl3s are sounding a bit grainy/grungy/wooly sometimes but it might be psychological..there is so much distortion built into modern recordings that on occasion I can't tell if it is meant to sound like that or not.

so far i have changed the amp and measure the voltages.....onward.

I may well come back to you, depending what Rob says.....it will doubtless be subject to the brexit fiasco.
I get that feeling when Im listening to Led Zepellin. But I like Led Zepellin ! condundrum!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#8 Re: mylar

Post by Toppsy »

I did exactly the same with the left over conductive fluid I had from two builds and likewise cannot find the bottles now! Annoying init this getting old and forgetting things. I did have a bottle the original black, carbon based, coating as well as a bottle the new clear coating. I may have given them to Andrew with the repair kit? If Andrew picks up on this thread perhaps he can check if he has them as well the clear coating inside the repair kit?
No problems Ed. It is here if you want it. Basically no use to me these days so you might as well have it towards any repair.
Andrew
Eternally single

#9 Re: mylar

Post by Andrew »

Still looking for the tube, Colin,, I must be getting old and forgetful :(
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
ed
retired

#10 Re: mylar

Post by ed »

any progress on the search Andrew?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#11 Re: mylar

Post by Toppsy »

Ed,
Andrew is presently in Spain visiting his boys. I think he's back home next week.
I still have those couple part rolls of Dupont mylar, originally supplied by ERA, if it's just the mylar you want?

EDIT.
Should get those Fostex tweeters in the post for you tomorrow. Been rather hectic here these last few days that I couldn't get to the PO.
ed
retired

#12 Re: mylar

Post by ed »

Toppsy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:54 pm Ed,
Andrew is presently in Spain visiting his boys. I think he's back home next week.
I still have those couple part rolls of Dupont mylar, originally supplied by ERA, if it's just the mylar you want?

EDIT.
Should get those Fostex tweeters in the post for you tomorrow. Been rather hectic here these last few days that I couldn't get to the PO.
thanks Colin...I was rather hoping the fluid might surface as well. Postage from Rob is scary, not to mention the involvement of HMC, and I'm also trying to minimise the cost by avoiding his new prices.

cheapskatesRus
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#13 Re: mylar

Post by Toppsy »

Understand Ed,
Perhaps you could just ask Rob what the cost incl. postage would be for just a bottle the conducting liquid? I expect most the expense of postage is for the large cardboard postal tube for the film. The plastic bottle of liquid are quite small. When Andrew does find the time to search out the kit and stuff I passed on to him I wouldn't be surprised if the liquid may have dried up in the bottles supplied with the kit. There likely would be sufficient liquid in a single bottle for both your and Nick's needs to carry out repairs. I can supply a electronic copy the repair manual to you both.

I'll check what length of film there is on the rolls of mylar I have. I'm sure there will be more than enough for your needs in just one of them. This will then leave a spare roll left should Nick want it for his repair. You can have one the rolls of film for just the cost of parcel force postage. I do have a suitable card postal tube.
ed
retired

#14 Re: mylar

Post by ed »

I realised, somewhat late, that I hadn't concluded this thread...

Just after this thread was live I began to feel an improvement in the electrostatics. I had thoroughly tested the panels, MLS, and physical condition(membrane tension etc) and could find nothing amiss...

My hearing has changed in other areas over this time, so I'm happy to report the problem was my ears, and not the electrostatics. I can only guess that it was covid that was the cause.

many thanks for looking though Colin.

all is good here, even after 20 years these esl3s are still the best for me.