Raspberry Pi in same case as DAC

We all start somewhere
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#1 Raspberry Pi in same case as DAC

Post by Thermionic Idler »

The question is in the title, really. Previously, I was advised against integrating an Intel NUC board and storage into the same enclosure as DAC circuitry, because of the potential for noise interference.

Would the same concern apply to the Raspberry Pi? Reason I ask is that, with the sudden demise of my Daphile server, I'm probably going to go down the Roon route - I'm trialling it at the moment and the user experience is head and shoulders above anything else I've tried (although I consider it a little overpriced). That would mean I only need a Roon end-point in my hifi stack rather than a whole server.

The best solution for that seems to be RoPieee, interfaced to the DAC via USB. A neat solution would be to integrate the RoPieee into the DAC but I wondered if the same noise concerns would apply?
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
rowuk
Old Hand

#2 Re: Raspberry Pi in same case as DAC

Post by rowuk »

I would breadboard both very close to one another and measure. If you have no issues, the case will be OK. There are many theoretical issues that just exist in the minds of the naysayers...
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#3 Re: Raspberry Pi in same case as DAC

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Thanks - looks like I won't be using the Raspberry Pi in any case, I'm now planning something a bit more ambitious - a version of the DSD Valve DAC that Ray did a couple of years ago which uses a Beaglebone Black (I think? that was off the top of my head). And I know that all works in the same case...
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets