Vortexbox Blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#151 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Just got back from Glasgow, WOW!

'course what you lot didn't say and I didn't see ( wasn't looking) that you've had a considerable 'discussion' about PiCorePlayer etc etc etc already. Just before setting off fir the Northern wastes I went to a colleague and friend's retirement bash and he told me with great enthusiasm about max2play....

Tomorrow I shall take up the Cayse again and I shall delight in your discussion about PiCorePlayer etc etc etc.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#152 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'm chuffed...its so simple. Today I booted the 'new' p.c. up. Connected only to the mains and ethernet cable to my router ( no screen, no mouse) it flawlessly connects to my Squeezebox Touch downstairs via wi fi and the music is playing.

This sort of £50 jobbie has completely replaced the broken Vortexbox. Brilliant!

The only prog. on the p.c. is LMS which is set to switch on at boot up and in Windows I clicked the box to let this p.c. be recognised by other devices on the network. This latter may not be necessary ? Who knows! It works. F.A.B.

I can control the hi fi downstairs from the p.c. ( upstairs) using the LMS software ( with a mouse and screen) but of course, don't need to because the Squeezer App on the phone just works too.

Now , could the RasRi do more than this???
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#153 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

Now , could the RasRi do more than this???
For you it seems not :-)

"UNIX is user-friendly, it just chooses its friends."
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#154 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I know when I'm not wanted! Like who cares! The music sure sounds good.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#155 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

One of the benefits of a pi is its low energy consumption compared to the windows PC I'd imagine.
andrew Ivimey

#156 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Now that has to be very true!!!! But then valves eh! Transmitter valves, ppppjhhhhrrrrooooooaaaaaaarrrrr! Eh, if I spelled it right.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#157 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

Close enough :-)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#158 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Dave the bass »

simon wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:00 pmClose enough :-)
Except for the 4 'M's and a silent 'Q'.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey

#159 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

and the sibilant J?!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#160 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:40 pm Except for the 4 'M's and a silent 'Q'.
And the silent P? As in bath?
andrew Ivimey

#161 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Surely that's more of a 'K' with a lisp?
andrew Ivimey

#162 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've bought another Touch! £70 on EBay. Can't have too many eh. I'm not sure it doesn't actually sound better than my old one.

I stuck a 250gig usb stick full of music on the back and let it do its stuff. Now, relative peace of mind about Logitech a server if sorts with all my music I can let the Vortexbox cool down. I can turn towards RaspberryPi in my own god time.
Now I'll write to Mr Putin and give him a piece of my mind...
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#163 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by vinylnvalves »

I sorted out the vortex box today.., it now reads the meta data for ripped cds. The challenge was that the website it got the metadata from freedb.org was turned off in 2020. Now it’s pointing to gnudb.org instead. Idiots guide to doing this is https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/support ... ifying-cds
Took me ages to work out the nuisances between Linux and Unix, Like how to edit a file :(
andrew Ivimey

#164 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Always trying to be clever....ahem I have wondered from time to time just how much USB a Vortebox will take..... I got to 200 gig and all seemed to be well Then I remembered... no Bowie, must add... I didn't.

Vortexbox has twice crashed and DEMANDED I re-build the cache and all is well; but for how much longer? We wonders, oh yes we wonders....precioussss
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#165 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Dave the bass »

OOo, are you running an external USB drive for storage on your Vortexbox MrI? I only back up via USB.

FWIW, I 'upgraded' my VB many years ago to 4TB and haven't been able to update it since approx. 12BC so its locked in a timewarp still running VortexBox SW Version: 2.3 quite happily. I think it was because this bit -> Linux OS Version: Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug) wasn't supported anymore so the VB never updated again.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"