NAS Recommendations

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#91 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

Well, what you're perhaps missing ed is how little time, and energy, I have for this. After 10+ hours looking at computer screens for work I don't particularly look forward to spending any more. I spent 5 minutes last night seeing if I could get the caddy to work. It didn't. So I'll find a large USB drive, format it, plug it in to the router, hope I can find it on the network, fire up the old PC, install filezilla, and start transferring the data. But it'll probably be the weekend.
ed
retired

#92 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by ed »

simon wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:04 pm Well, what you're perhaps missing ed is how little time, and energy, I have for this.
my bad Simon...I was assuming you may have your disk set up like mine....
In my set up, using filezilla, I would spend 3 mins loading filezilla and setting off the copy...then maybe have a look on Thursday to see if it had finished...time spent 3 mins

I now appreciate it may take more time with your set-up.

I've just read the manual for the 310...Is it not possible to plug a usb hdd into the NAS and press the copy/sync button on the front? You have to set up the copy details in the NAS web interface though
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#93 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by The Stratmangler »

ed wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:50 pm I've just read the manual for the 310...Is it not possible to plug a usb hdd into the NAS and press the copy/sync button on the front? You have to set up the copy details in the NAS web interface though
Yes it possible to plug in a USB HDD and transfer files using the copy/sync button.
It's what I did each time I swapped out the internal HDD for a larger one.

It wasn't a fast process, but the NSA310 is a lowly specced device.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#94 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Righto.... I've just filled an old Dell desktop with a terabyte hard drive and a new install of Win10, plugged it into the router then downloaded LMS 8.2 and it happily sends music to two Squeezebox touches over WiFi in different parts of Bedford Towers . I can control it with Squeezee App.
Brilliant.
This is what I wanted RasPi to do.

Now, I know you lot will chuckle and say, 'that's dead easy.' And I can only agree because I could do it quickly and efficiently. The p.c. runs almost silent and is slightly bigger than the vortexbox but can just get on with it. If I can get it to boot automatically with LMS already automatically running what's there not to like!?

Happy purrs so far.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#95 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh yes the hard drive is 'c' drive. There are no attached other hard drives now.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#96 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

ed wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:50 pm I've just read the manual for the 310...Is it not possible to plug a usb hdd into the NAS and press the copy/sync button on the front? You have to set up the copy details in the NAS web interface though
The Stratmangler wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:42 pm Yes it possible to plug in a USB HDD and transfer files using the copy/sync button.
It's what I did each time I swapped out the internal HDD for a larger one.
Right oh! This is interesting. I've plugged the USB drive in and altered the Copy/Sync in the NAS setup to write to the USB drive and it's currently copying files over. Don't know how long it's going to take and I'll have to do the 5 shares one by one but initial progress looks promising :-).
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#97 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by izzy wizzy »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:18 pm Righto.... I've just filled an old Dell desktop with a terabyte hard drive and a new install of Win10, plugged it into the router then downloaded LMS 8.2 and it happily sends music to two Squeezebox touches over WiFi in different parts of Bedford Towers . I can control it with Squeezee App.
Brilliant.
This is what I wanted RasPi to do.

Now, I know you lot will chuckle and say, 'that's dead easy.' And I can only agree because I could do it quickly and efficiently. The p.c. runs almost silent and is slightly bigger than the vortexbox but can just get on with it. If I can get it to boot automatically with LMS already automatically running what's there not to like!?

Happy purrs so far.
That's what I ended up doing after my LMS broke first on vortex box and then on synology nas.

I haven't looked to solve boot issue for players as pc LMS is my desktop and gets turned off at night so players need to be rebooted to use.
ed
retired

#98 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by ed »

wow...
I just did a test to see if the copy/sync method was up to much...
I just copied the music library that is on the nsa325, and....

310GB 13,427 files in 2hrs 36 mins

imo that's pretty impressive
the usb HDD was a 500GB usb3
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#99 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by simon »

Yeah, mine seems quick too. Problem is I can't verify all the files have been copied yet until I have a way of reading the NAS, which means remounting the NAS in Ubuntu. Another job.
andrew Ivimey

#100 Re: NAS Recommendations

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Sounds tricky... I'm lissnin to stuff right now as the dinner is well in hand and Anna will be home soon (?)

Compared to the Vortexbox this simple lowly P.C. seems to be faster and sounds better too. Very subjective but hey! Wow, it works.