Speaker protection

For the three and more legged things
rowuk
Old Hand

#31 Hearing the grass grow

Post by rowuk »

The problem with the component game is figuring ou how much belongs to the component, and how much to the use case.

A very good example is interconnects. In the recording studio with miles of wire - but in many cases still reference sound. We have the "golden ears" at home struggling with the flaws in a meter or two of interconnect. Is the issue the wire? The phantom power? Transformers? Symmetry? Or is the problem that the golden ears can not be trusted - because what they call "listening" is only confirmation bias.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#32 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Daniel Quinn »

So the ideal is theoretical .
Nick
Site Admin

#33 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Nick »

Yes, when it comes to components. I think you are reading more into the word than there is. In the same way the average age of three people 10, 25 and 30 years old is 21.6 years, the idea of the average is real even though no one man is that age.

When you design electronics, you assume at first ideal components, resistors with only resistance, capacitors with only capacitance, inductors with only inductance and so on. They are regarded as ideal components, and that's how I am using the world. It doesn't involve any concept of pursuit of perfection other then each part behaves like a idealized version of itself. Later it may be necessary to consider the second order reality of real components, the inductance of a resistor, the resistance of a inductor and so on, But in audio its rare (other than maybe inductors and transformers) that this is needed to design and model the circuit.

Remember your power supply? A ideal 230v:33v will produce 33v if fed 230v independent of the load placed on it, its only if you are worried about close values that you worry about the non ideal aspects.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#34 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Ray P »

Michael L wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:19 pm How do you find the Sissy SET ?.Did it live up to expectations? Another unfinished project for me. Must complete it. I bought some relay less protection boards too.
Still a work in progress for me too, but will hopefully get it done in th next few weeks.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
rowuk
Old Hand

#35 Re: Speaker protection

Post by rowuk »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:18 pm So the ideal is theoretical .
Considering all that is missing in stereo in terms of tone, geometry and perception, even the theory is theoretical. I often wonder what training is necessary to tell if trumpet tone is better with one circuit or another.

Based on what we have experienced and understood determines the next things that we focus on. I am convinced that the preoccupation with hardware is only one of the "early" levels of the audio adventure. For sure, a very fun part.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.