Fusion....

Share the music that moves you.......
Ant
Shed dweller

#1 Fusion....

Post by Ant »

Dunno why but i seem to be listening to it quite abit lately.
The stuff i have is the more widely known, weather report, spyro gyra, stanley clarke, jaco pastorius, that kind of thing

Recommendations for bands/artists to try would be appreciated
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Fusion....

Post by Paul Barker »

After what you said Ive downloaded the very best of Spiro on itunes. Breackfast at Igores! Mint! It sounds like they have someone playing fretless bass. Could Jaco have worked with them?

Icertainly like the pace rythom and timing on this genre! Never really paid any attention to it before. Thanks, its so cool, Im lifted in mood. Much needed.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
karatestu
User

#3 Re: Fusion....

Post by karatestu »

Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis (Bitches Brew, In a silent way, Tribute to Jack Johnson).
Those should keep you occupied for a bit :D
:bigsmurf:
Ant
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Fusion....

Post by Ant »

I have mahavishnu orchestra on my radar at the moment because im interested in john mclaughlin at the moment.
This is from music he did with zakhir hussain (making music, shakti)
I guess ill get the first album they did and start at the beginning with that particular band

I think the playing precision and creativity on the stuff i have is what attracts me to it as a genre (if you can pigeonhole any of it which i dont think you can), the start stop staccato nature, the wild changes in timing, the 'i can go one better than that' sort of sense i get from it. It gets me smiling through a bonkers solo that the next player tries to 'beat' if you will. Its not formulaic and boring. I dunno, it gets me talking shite about it which is a good thing
Last edited by Ant on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Fusion....

Post by Nick »

Any Mclaughlin, Miles Davis ( post IASW), Holdworth, Soft Machine, Ian Carr, Chick Corea, Yelowjackets will get you a long way. Loads of others but those are what comes to mind. Oh, Brand X and Colosseum also on this side of the pond.

Basically draw lines from Bitches Brew and any band that can claim a connection back less than 5 generations will probably fit the bill.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ant
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Fusion....

Post by Ant »

Ive been exploring this genre more and more over the last 12 months, found a few artists i like quite a bit.

Return to forever, al di meola, larry coryell, early lee ritenour who was already in the recesses of my brain from an album called harlequin that he did with dave grusin. An album called friendship, by a load of musicians he was associated with that he produced is also very good.

Struggling abit with chick corea, although ive only got one album, my spanish heart, it doesnt grab me so some other albumn suggestions of his would be appreciated.

Also like mike mandel, billy cobham is a no brainer.

More suggestions!

Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Fusion....

Post by Nick »

Well, you could justifiably argue that all of Return To Forever would count as a Corea LP. But try working into his extensive catalog via Chick Corea The Chick Corea Elektric Band.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: Fusion....

Post by Nick »

This was a good Chick Corea tribute that has loads of references for you to check out.

Ant
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Fusion....

Post by Ant »

Cool thanks nick ill have a look at that