If they glow, this is the place to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 1619

Post by Paul Barker »

Good, if you look East not West (USA), they’re still cheap. Got pair of mint nos RCA for 25 Euro Free shipping. Pair white boxes 20 Euro same seller.

I did previously (about time I built a push pull amp) try them but found low power, though the Bates triode connected SE cathode follower. Bates claims 4.5 watts. I would estimate that was bragging. I’d expect 1.5 to 2 downhill wind behind watts, from my previous experiments.

But hay, what you paying for youre 71a’s, 45’s?

I don’t think many of us care for low watt dht’s any longer. But the remnant might want to take note.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: 1619

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:31 pm ....I don’t think many of us care for low watt dht’s any longer. But the remnant might want to take note.
I wouldn't use anything else other than a low watt DHT now. In my little 12 x 12 room sitting ten feet away from a pair of 98dB/W speakers, there's nothing else I could possibly need.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker

#3 Re: 1619

Post by Paul Barker »

:D
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#4 Re: 1619

Post by Paul Barker »

Ive almost gathered the components for the Bates direct coupled 6V6 cathode follower output, that should line up exactly right for the 1619.

So I thought some folk may not have a copy of the circuit and article. Im sure its long out of copyright and Wireless and Telivision is definately not in existence to complain.

It wont have escaped old timers here that I stated “I would buy anything of Bruce Edgar’s sight unseen”. As I sat in his presence listening to him talk slowly but endlesly about all matters related to this absolutely top sound at vsac, the sound spoke for him. I was shocked at his answer when I asked what amp we were listening to. “these guys had made a 6v6 cathode follower amp that they made for me” All his expertise was loudseakers. He under stated the amp. But I banked that experience, many years later it has bubbled back up to my conscious mind.
Paul Barker

#5 Re: 1619

Post by Paul Barker »

This amp will get tried with 6v6, with 1619 at 2.5v at which it will bias exactly like a 6v6, and it will get tested filament starved wherin I may have to adjust on test some circuit values, but it may hold close to Bates’ idea.

The charts of distortion in 1619 filament starved of Stephie are seductive.

In the text Stephie along with our James and diy Audio all claim 1619 is 6L6 equivalent. Its not its a 6V6, and thats how I learned about it when I was a radio ham it was common knowledge 1619 was a dh 6v6.