Mono experiment

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Mono experiment

Post by pre65 »

Hi-i am carrying out an experiment on one speaker (details to be revealed if it shows any promise) and i wish to test it (soon i hope).

Can i common both pre amp outputs to feed one of my Quad 11s or common the outputs from my 832 PP amp-or is there a better way ?

The nominal impedance is 15 ohms.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You would be better majing a resistive network to common the two pre outputs, say, two 100k resistors one from each input chan, then join and take to the amp input. This stops the pre outputs from affecting each other.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-i have taken the drive units from one of my Leak Sandwich speakers and mounted them on a piece of kitchen worktop i had laying around.

Everything is standard Leak including god knows how old capacitors in the crossover.

Using a mono CD and connecting one channel to a 15 ohm power resistor i fired it up,and considering the "bodge" construction,it sounded not too bad.

I may now be tempted to make a proper pair.

There was no science in the driver placement,just guessed !

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146 ... wichOB.jpg
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

And why not!?

The Baffle looks big enough to do a decent job. You could experiment with depths of edging (flying buttresses like all good cathdrals around the height of the bass unit) but go too far and you will inroduce 'boxiness'.