SSD

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 SSD

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've just bitten and bought a Solid State er....Drive. Then I read up about them.

It occurred to me that you could use one very usefully plugged into a Squeezebox. No power needed and very convenient size, super fast access. I reckon I could plug in ALL my favourite music on less than 250 gig of flac.

I haven't tried it yet. Instead I disassembled a mini Mac and put it in there, booted up on a usb stick laden with High Sierra, downloaded the OS and phroaaaaah, such speed.

But the next SSD goes in the Squeezebox unless any of you lot who actually know what they're doing tells me not to.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: SSD

Post by Cressy Snr »

You got the Mac going then I presume.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
andrew Ivimey

#3 Re: SSD

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh Steve let me tell you! Great fun and stress learning Mac os, writing CLI because I updated osx to Catalina which wasn't so bad so went to big Sur... A step far too far from 4gig Mac mini ( bit it did work) then set up a high Sierra boot drive wipe the internal drive and then install. Brilliant!!!

Garageband is big and quite wonderful and seems to be fine but we'll see tomorrow...

Thanks to your and Ant's input, I was going to update you both , but many thanks to you 2.

But SSD and usb3 on eBsy - astonishing!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#4 Re: SSD

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I expect you're well ahead of me on this. Squeezebox usb port is 2 and it don't matter how fast the device us, it only hours usb2 speed.

I could be wrong but the SSD doesn't appear any faster than a usb2 stick. On the Mac it was blindingly fast. I'll use it as a back up drive for the minimus Macintosh.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: SSD

Post by jack »

USB 2.0 is so slow (480Mb/s) that an SSD is unlikely to go faster than a decent usb stick. The limitation is the interface, not the drive...

A modern SSD will do full speed SATA 3, i.e. 6Gb/s - at tops, USB 3 will do 5Gb/s (>10x that of USB 2).
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
iansr
Old Hand

#6 Re: SSD

Post by iansr »

I’ve just bought an 2012 Mac Mini with an i7 CPU at a very nice price. Why that one ? Because its the last model of Mini that you can upgrade the RAM and storage on. So I’ve bought 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD which I will soon be installing. (Praise be for YouTube ;) ). I’ve already created a bootable USB drive with Catalina Installer, having already concluded that Big Sur is unnecessary for my use case, which is to run JRiver. The whole lot has cost me less than £250. In the words of Pete Townsend, I call that a bargain . . .
"Its good enough for Government work."
andrew Ivimey

#7 Re: SSD

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yep, that looks good....very good.