PCM to DSD conversion

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#46 Re: PCM to DSD conversion

Post by Nick »

Digi synths have long been into the realm of using samples,
Maybe, but showing my age, but something I spent a lot of time with, the DX7 wasn't analogue and didn't play samples.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#47 Re: PCM to DSD conversion

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:08 pm
Digi synths have long been into the realm of using samples,
Maybe, but showing my age, but something I spent a lot of time with, the DX7 wasn't analogue and didn't play samples.
My memory wont oblige but I think my sy77 was the successor generation to the DX7 and brought in the era of sampling synths. Again memory, but I beleive Korg and Roland were in on the action as well....all end of the eighties early nineties digi synths. IIRC the DX7 was a digi just before the sampling revolution.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#48 Re: PCM to DSD conversion

Post by Nick »

IIRC the DX7 was a digi just before the sampling revolution.
IIRC, I agree, at the time samplers like the Farelight and Synclavier were well out of our price range. Jan Hammer seemed to use the Emulator a lot, which wasn't that much of a recommendation :-) . the DX7 and a mini moog was all that keyboard player had (and a TB-303 and TR-808 before they were cool).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#49 Re: PCM to DSD conversion

Post by Ray P »

Just enjoying this, apparently no PCM to DSD conversion involved.
Ray P wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:21 pm Image

My birthday treat - beautiful music by a consumate musician and an excellent DSD256 recording (download from NativeDSD);
For this recording Sonodore microphones were used to bring the music to the Horus Analog to DSD 256 Converter from Merging Technologies. Eudora notes that “Of course, no DXD conversion and processing was applied, this is a pure DSD256 recording.”
Sorry, I couldn't resist!