esp32 soc computers

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 esp32 soc computers

Post by ed »

this was prompted by jack with a post here:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 0&start=27

I'm thinking it's only jack that's likely to be remotely interested but what the heck, so apologies to those who beleive it to be the devil's work.......

I was feeling restless with all the home imprisonment so I dug out the esp32 I mentioned in jack's thread and ported my test platform weather station from mega2560 and esp8266 wifi card to a straight esp32.

the esp32 is a bit smaller than the mega2560, but a gazillion times more capable...wow!

At the mo I'm using the arduino ide as all the c/c++ libraries are working for the esp32.

test platform output is here: http://www.vitalstates.org/weather/weather.php

I will probably move on to the live stations in the fullness of time, but they are all remote with no mains or network access so I'll have to investigate the esp32 that has a sim800 mobile modem on board.

live systems upload to weather underground, example here: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IWAWNE2
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by Nick »

I am interested. Not got anything to add, but interested none the less.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by jack »

Certainly Interested !

It's an amazing device - dual core too...

I'm running some now with the Arduino IDE and some with native ESP-IDF + Eclipse. All code bases in Git, code all C++.

Current projects are a full featured Nixie clock on the Arduino with an inbuilt access point and web server + NTP and some test and monitoring utilities with native ESP-IDF (mqtt + mosquitto).

I note that Elektor had a big article on an ESP32 weather station in 12/18. FWIW, I have submitted some bug reports to them recently - obvious errors and I'm astonished that they hadn't been picked up before....
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#4 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by ed »

thanks for the link...

it maybe that I've found another source for spare parts for the fine offset units, providing they sell the bits individually.

The esp32 certainly performs, although I'm a tad surprised at the memory greed of some of the arduino libraries. It reminds me of the early microsoft offerings where the more memory available the more the software used and the further it got from efficiency...

never mind, it's a hollow argument....I'm in!. I only wish I'd fished it out of the bit box earlier.
I'll have a go with the TTGO variation which has a sim800l on board......some time soon I can get my boy scout geek badge..whaheyyy
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by jack »

Arduino libraries are notoriously inefficient when used from the Arduino IDE. Part of the issue is the default compiler options - there is little documentation and no support to change to a more compact, i.e. memory vs speed, option.

The general response from the Arduino community is that the default IDE is for people who wouldn't know what a compiler was, let alone want to change it's default options...

If you're not already using it, switch to Eclipse for the IDE. Proper job, it is...
ed
retired

#6 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 am there is little documentation and no support to change to a more compact, i.e. memory vs speed, option.

even worse....snigger
it may be because I come from a different IT generation
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#7 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:22 am
jack wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 am there is little documentation and no support to change to a more compact, i.e. memory vs speed, option.
even worse....snigger
it may be because I come from a different IT generation
Look matey, I'm not that much younger than you :) I was bought up on (much crap deleted)...
Last edited by jack on Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
ed
retired

#8 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by ed »

I can't help thinking there is so much willy waving here.....

It seems you completely missed my point, to wit:
i.e. memory vs speed, option.
where I come from this is not an option...one strives for both....

If it wasn't for the wimping out statement I think I'd already have let you have the last word...as it is, be my guest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:01 am I can't help thinking there is so much willy waving here.....

It seems you completely missed my point, to wit:
i.e. memory vs speed, option.
where I come from this is not an option...one strives for both....

If it wasn't for the wimping out statement I think I'd already have let you have the last word...as it is, be my guest.
Nah - apologies - Just having a bit of fun - no offence meant! You must be pretty much the same generation as me, so I thought would have been bought up with low level stuff... put it badly (have deleted it) but really it just about nuts n bolts... thought you'd be digging under the covers... I'm completely with you on the lack of clarity on this.

I've tried (and failed) to understand how to get the Arduino IDE to change compiler options for this sort of stuff - the forums have many questions on this - the stock answer is "go away"... when people mention the lack of documentation, they are told "go write it yourself". Fair comment, I suppose.

So, I'm trying to find a way to get full Arduino library & board support within Eclipse for all the ESP32 boards. It's easy in the Arduino IDE, but whilst there is a good C++ Arduino plugin for Eclipse, it only has the default boards, i.e. the Atmel stuff and a few others, none of the ESP32 ones...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by jack »

Really for ed... Elektor have a new version of their weather station:

https://www.elektormagazine.com/magazin ... 146/58542/
ed
retired

#11 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by ed »

Thanks Nick

interestingly that's the same mast I've been using for the last 4 years..It's made by a company called Fine Offset from HK..that particular model is WH1030.

It's becoming very popular as I'm finding out with my test platforms. The remote stations are quite happy but the test platforms here in the town are suffering a number of mis-reads now due, I think, to the congested 433mhz airwaves. Looking on weather underground there are half a dozen personal weather stations in Hull alone. Add this to the number of garage doors, CCTV, door bells etc and it's only a matter of time.

I use a receiver from Aurel which is quite discerning but I recently bought another make(RXB6), and it misreads to such an extent that it only gets 20% hits....most of the mis-reads pass the fine offset crc...go figure.
ed
retired

#12 Re: esp32 soc computers

Post by ed »

here's one a bit alien to audio but I thought Id ask anyway...

My move to esp32 processors with inbuilt wifi has not been entirely successful, particularly the models with a sim800 attachment(mobile 2G communications). In a nutshell some models are more difficult to use than others.

The problem is that with a 433mhz receiver in close proximity to the esp32 the 433mhz signal is more often than not, lost. This is on the sim800 models but not actually using the sim800, only using the wifi.

I have been experimenting for some time with taking the 433mhz receiver some distance from the esp processor and getting encouraging results, but not 100% effective. I've also got improvements by using a 1/2 wave antenna in place of a quarter wave on the 433mhz receiver, but this is not practical in the field. I'm fairly certain the 433mhz signal is being swamped by the wifi because the misbehaving units work 100% when the wifi is not in use.

The question I'm asking, if anybody has any ideas, is:

I'm thinking of applying ring chokes on the receiver connection to further isolate. But where, and on which lines?
esp aurel.jpg