next year's project(2019)

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
ed
retired

#1 next year's project(2019)

Post by ed »

sometime ago I raised a thread about replacing my squeezebox with a bespoke unit from scratch...as usual nothing came of it...but then my squeezebox died and although I'm quite happy with the beaglebone doing a similar job I thought I'd revisit the idea...

times have moved on and now there is this for not much more than £5. A bit ambitious I know, but the idea of a streaming client without an OS in the way might keep my calcifying brain cell occupied:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STM32F407VGT ... Sw4HxZnTqc

this is just an example of the cortex M4 boards out there, and I know it's reinventing the wheel, but it's a tad more interesting to me at the mo than building another amp.

I say more interesting because the last latfet attempt was the simplest and cheapest amp I've ever built and I can't fault the sound...so where can I go from there, except sideways....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: next year's project(2019)

Post by jack »

Interesting... but a huge project...

What are your thoughts so far?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#3 Re: next year's project(2019)

Post by ed »

my thought's so far.......

I've run out of Andrews, waily waily...this Christmas malarky takes it out of one.

but I understand where you're coming from....I'm probably entertaining this because I've only half thought it through...also, as you said in another thread, it's all a matter of perspective.. I can still vaguely remember when we had 8k of 24bit words and a drum..we seemed to manage ok although the belts were in a few more notches then.

snigger

edit: probably a bit more flippant than was necessary..
I had thought to start with the slim protocol because that's what I use at the moment...and just start by thinking about wav without any compression or codec involvement...at this point I may see the error of my ways and give up....time will tell.

also, the dlna spec is very hard come by
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be