Interesting ribbon

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Interesting ribbon

Post by IslandPink »

High efficiency, low distortion to 1kHz, new twist on technology. Not sure what they cost, though.
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Viawave-GRT-145-4.htm
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Interesting ribbon

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Very interesting and it throws up the question I have never settled in my own understanding...what's the difference between ribbons and Dr Heil's AMTs!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#3 Re: Interesting ribbon

Post by ed »

my first thought was check it out against the tpl-150....as it's a solution looking at the same problem area...

and in every respect it falls woefully short on paper....the price might redeem it though.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Interesting ribbon

Post by IslandPink »

I don't think they're really aiming at quite the same bands are they ? I know the AMT's are bigger units, more efficient and aimed to get a fair bit lower than most ribbons. This new one looks to be a replacement for small ribbons for 2 or 3-ways but crossable at 2 to 2.5kHz. My understanding also is that a TPL-150 will need a tweeter and won't sound as good as ribbon above 5kHz. In fact a couple of people I know don't like the TPL-150 sound at all. I like what I've heard from Steve's, but always with an alnico bullet tweet added for the top end.

Andrew, the AMT is like a pleated (concertina) aluminium membrane thing that squirts air out ( or sucks it in ) quicker than the pleats themselves compress/expand. Normal ribbon can be smooth or corrugated but doesn't have the deep pleats and just sends waves out in a more conventional way when energised by current apllied from top to bottom, and the Neo magnets it's sitting between. I haven't looked at exactly how the energy gets from the terminals to the membrane on an AMT tweeter.
ed
retired

#5 Re: Interesting ribbon

Post by ed »

this Klang & Ton review puts them at 500 euros for the pair. Who's going to test the ice?

http://www.jantzen-audio.com/wp-content ... ngTonn.pdf
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
rowuk
Old Hand

#6 Re: Interesting ribbon

Post by rowuk »

I think that the AMTs sound pretty "grey" in tone. Kind of like BMS ceramic magnet drivers for horns. I used to have stacked Quads with the Kelly/Decca ribbon tweeter. Never had any issues above 10K!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#7 Re: Interesting ribbon

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hmmmm never heard 'Grey' AMTs ... Don't know what the modern ones sound like though.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Interesting ribbon

Post by IslandPink »

Troels seems unusually excited about the results :
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ATiRi.htm