Next speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
steve s
Shed dweller

#1 Next speaker build

Post by steve s »

I've been collecting drivers for the next speaker build. I've already got a pair of fane crescendo's which now have the pa type cone fitted
Last weekend I was lucky enough to get a pair of 1980-90's fane 18b-400 bass drivers, they are renowned for good bass tone and hopefully should be an improvement or at least equal to the 18xb's I'm now using.
Also got a pair of boxed nos (unused by the look of them?) fane hf250 tweeters I'll bring them in around 10k if used with the tpl150 although they work down to 5k
They have a following in the pa world
But I've yet to find out if its valid ?

My plan is fill the 2k up area with the tpl's as usual, unless anyone can come up with better suggestions...?

It will be a couple of months before I get started on them, much too busy with the bikes
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Next speaker build

Post by IslandPink »

Watching with interest !
What are the current tweeters - T90A's are they ? - will be hard to beat.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Next speaker build

Post by steve s »

Nearly Mark, they are t900a
I don't want to buy another pair. I keep a look out but I have never seen them second hand, they are not what people sell once they own them.
I was looking for a suitable cheaper alternative and these tweeters came up at a good price
Alot of the pa people who used them used ampscthat where some times a little course at the top end, and a good hf driver highlighted this so of course the hf speaker was blamed..
But there a few really positive reviews

I need to clip lead them in and see but been too busy down the shed with the bikes
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#4 Re: Next speaker build

Post by Ray P »

Watching with interest Steve.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
chris661
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Next speaker build

Post by chris661 »

Hi Steve,

Sounds like an interesting project.
Have you considered using a dedicated PA midrange driver to cover, say, 800Hz up to a few kHz?

These look the job - http://beyma.com/products/lowmidfrequency/106MCF20ND8
Some of the other Beyma offerings are a bit more spiky in the kHz range, but that one looks very smooth. High efficiency, too.
They're not cheap, but are some of the best in the world.

All the best,
Chris