Clones PA1 Phonostage

For the three and more legged things
JohnG
Old Hand

#1 Clones PA1 Phonostage

Post by JohnG »

I,ve commited to purchasing a Clones PA1 Phonostage, it is a off the Radar Model in terms of a brand.
I feel it is a value for money at the purchase price agreed, and will be a useful device to use as a A/B Comparison, along with my other Andy Groves Designed World Audio Designs, Soild State I have had since the early 2000's. I would like the opportunity to do a comparison over the Xmas break to other Phonostages.
I live near Thetford on the Suffolk/Norfolk Border, if there are any members up for a comparison session and spend a few hours of HiFi Banter and Listening, I will happily give up a day for this, and drive a round trip of 150-200 miles.
Seems like my break is being planned around hifi, as I am doing a day at Stoyans, and also hoping to get across to Banbury to listen to stacked 57's if the owner keeps his offer open.
If any body has any experience of the Clones PA1, feel free to express your views on how it performed, It will be useful to try and identify with your findings, when it is set up.
JohnG
Old Hand

#2 Re: Clones PA1 Phonostage

Post by JohnG »

I've Picked up the PA1.
A unforeseen bonus to the sale, was a listening session played through a Convert Technologies Plato, Multi Media Player,
AM 833S Valve Amps and Horning Algame Speakers.
The presentation as a whole in a persons home, who has learned to get the best acoustic from their set up was inspirational.
The music felt as it was part of the fabric of the room, it had a seamless integration, and a very pleasing bass line.
These are for me not every day experiences, and this one will be remembered for the purity of the performance.
If I had a few "Bags of Sand" burning a hole in the wallet, I would definitely be the owner of a Plato now. In my mind, this is a Benchmark and would be a very good model to measure digital replay designs against.
It the numbers come up on Lotto, just maybe I would be making bids to empty a living room of pleasing kit.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Clones PA1 Phonostage

Post by pre65 »

It's not that difficult to DIY 833 amps. :mrgreen:

I could help you with some valves, top caps and sockets if you were interested. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Clones PA1 Phonostage

Post by andrew Ivimey »

833s do that. Very easy to build,always best to have a big wooden stick and an effective fire extinguisher for electrical accidents. But they are worth the effort...definitely not maybe.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Clones PA1 Phonostage

Post by IslandPink »

What larks !
Respect due .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#6 Re: Clones PA1 Phonostage

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

John there is now a NVA Phono 2 available for loan at HFS, bit late for Christmas though.
JohnG
Old Hand

#7 Re: Clones PA1 Phonostage

Post by JohnG »

Thank you for the information, I,m sure I will hear a NVA Phonostage during 2018.
Now I have a Phonostage that I can get very familiar with, I would like to take it along to a Audiotalk Bake Off, if one comes about. I will be much better tuned in, so identifying further difference between devices will be easier, and I will be more confident in my evaluations.
The Clones PA1 was a wild card buy, and after a few experiences with it since the purchase, once using Moving Coil (not at home)
and once using MM ( at home ), I can only say it has got my attention, and I didn't think I was going to get such a performance, it has shown numerous improvements over my WAD Solid State Phonostage when using MM.
The biggest surprise was when I connected the PA1 directly to the 845 Mono Power Amp, it turned the Axis, Akito, A&R P77 into a thoroughly desirable set up. I felt I was listening to a turntable set up that was much better than the devices I was using.
With my limited experience of listening due to a long absence from HiFi, and after a year back, I don't see how a new turntable with my Hana SL + PA1 will improve on the performance I have heard . Can't wait to find out though :bounce: