Ubuntu

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You are using windows tools and windows methods, and they are not applicable.

Unix file layout is entirly different from windows, I suspect by trying to use two partitions you are missing something it needs. Without seeing just what you are doing its next to impossible to say whats failing.

How are you creating the partitions? using the partition tool in the install?

You normally meed a minimum of a / (root) /boot and swap partition, and the windows tools can't create any of those.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Sorry Nick, I've gone back to windows...it's so much simpler.

I realise I can't mix the two systems, but windows just offers so much more in the way of simplicity.

What I was trying to do was see if I could make a copy of the Ubuntu drive that was working to save the ball ache of having to install it again.

I couldn't do it, not in dos, Norton or any other utility I have.

I tried to use Ubuntu itself to make a partition, but it would have none of it, totally refused to install unless I gave it the whole drive.

Incidentally, the working copy of Ubunti I had, suddenly stopped seeing my network card. At that point I just gave up.

Fdisk-ed the Ubunti drive and re-installed windows, took all of 6min, job done, back online and fully operational again. If windows falls down in the future, it's so simple to wipe it over and start fresh again. It's done in the time it takes to drink your coffee..!!

3 days and I still couldn't get Ubunti to work properly. In short, I just couldn't spend any more time on it.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Darren

this is fairly well written as an intro:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

as I said in my first post on page 1, a copy of partiton magic or partition manager will allow you to do what I think you are trying to do......without either of them the job gets a bit trixy....but i'd strongly advise that you get to grips with the differnces between the file systems......Linux understands and makes every attempt to accommodate windows users....but unfortunately the reverse is not the case....

hope this helps........I feel your frustration, but stick it out its worth it.....the future is not microsoft

Ed
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

I have Partition Magic, just won't work on my new laptop,

Don't you just hate software companies !!!
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Sorry Ed,

I've really lost interest in it, I don't really want to learn all the ins and out of it to to be able to load the thing, if it can't do that without the operator having to learn a degree in computing then it's not yet ready for the mass market is it.

I think Windows will be around for some time yet.

Besides, when I had it working I found it to be very slow, not what I was expecting at all.

I must say, I'm disappointed after what I've heard...........

It's a bit like valve amps, you go on a forum, read they are great etc.
BUT, you need to learn how they work and be able to build one to get the best out of them.
In essense it's a hobby, and one I personally enjoy

Computing to me is not a hobby, it's a necessary evil. I just want to switch it on and it works.
Windows does that most of the time, for me anyway.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Fine, up to you, sorry I waisted your time trying to help you.

Though consider you did spend two of those three days doing something that no document suggested you should do. it was only last night you finally created the install disk.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Nick,

No need to be like that is there?
It's just not for me that's all, I'm sure it suits some, but not others like most things.

I tried Ubuntu well over a year ago, and again just now,
It's not ready for someone like me, it's that simple.
I'm no novice with computers, no expert either.

I appreciate everyone's help, I'm only trying to be honest, if that's not allowed I'll bugger off and leave you all to it.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Problem is Darren, you seem to have developed a bunch of coping strategies to avoid some of the problems with Windows, and then try and apply the same things to Linux and seem to have partly used the fact that the tricks you use for windows don't work for Linux as a reason that Linux is not as usefull as Windows.

Why does it matter how long it takes to install? Normally its only done once per computer, and if it takes longer to boot, thats normally not a issue either, as its either on a server that is left on, or uses power saving and just hibernates. Again its not Windows, its very rair that you would need to reboot a copy of Linux.

Also, I suspect you are not compairing the install time of Windows, just the time it takes to restore a image. You can do (as Ed suggested) the same with a copy of partition magic that supports your PC.

Sorry about my testy reply, but given that it was your idea at the start to try it, by saying you can't find time to do it any more, gives the feeling that I am trying to push you into using it, I am not, neither I or most of the FOSS community worry if it works for everyone, world domination is not the goal.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Nick, I can accept most of what you are saying, it's just part of the learning curve for a newcomer migrating from windows.

Be honest, there is a lot to learn, add to that this operating system is less plug and play than what we are used to.
That's fine too, to a point......my comments on not wanting to study the ins and outs of an operating system I feel are quite valid.

It's fine for the techie types that want to spend hours and hours getting familiar with it all.

Regarding how the install CD is made, it seems to make little difference, it hangs at the same point with either.
I have managed to get it to load on one computer just once, try as I might I can't repeat the exercise on the same computer.

Now I realise some would feel they could delve in and sort it out but
It just hangs at 15% of the install, no messages, no information, just a total lock up.

There are no error messages, no warnings, I have tried different download sources, different hard drives (tried fdisk, format, unformat, removed partitions etc) and different laptops.

All in all it took a lot of time and I can't get it to work in my circumstances with my current equipment. (and I have more than most would have around)

Maybe it's me, of course it's me, others manage it don't they. But then a quick Google indicates I'm not alone either.

Just because I tried and have given up is no need for yourself to get shirty about it,

It's just beyond my capabilities that's all....maybe when it has had further developments and more bugs ironed out simple people like me will manage better with it.

Until then I'll stick with windows, it works, nothing less, nothing more.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

windows/linux is the worst possible operating system - apart from all the rest (delete as appropriate depending on wether you are anti corporate or like an easy ride :twisted: )

taken from the book - 100 jokes (?) garunteed to offend anyone (particularly those who can't spell) :wink:
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Darren wrote:It's just beyond my capabilities that's all....maybe when it has had further developments and more bugs ironed out simple people like me will manage better with it.

Until then I'll stick with windows, it works, nothing less, nothing more.
Darren, I can empathise with you. Linux is within my capability, I have to support my employers products with it, and yet even I struggled with it as a desktop OS.

Our techies have been using Ubuntu on their laptops, all but one has given up and gone back to XP...as a server OS it's very stable. However, constant daily updates, missing dependencies and the need to integrate user email into corporate MSexchange means I've now removed it from my Laptop. (Installing graphics drivers is another hair removal exercise)

What it would be like for a home user is beyond me, it's just not 'there' yet and sorry to be controversial but the future is going to be windows based for a considerable time to come.

Trouble is we've all grown up with Windows and are now set in our ways, IT departments role out Windows and use Windows applications, Home systems ship with Windows...bending Linux to fit a windows world just doesn't work.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Thank you Neal, I was starting to feel like a complete Bafoon !!
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

I found this on a forum

"If your laptop is not upgradeable beyond 256MB of memory, you're wasting your time trying to install Ubuntu. Yeah, you CAN install it from the alternate CD, but you won't be happy with the results.

I know -- I went through the same thing, ignoring a lot of advice to the contrary, and discovered with that little memory, real-time performance is so S...L...O...W as to be all but useless. Not criticising Ubuntu; it's just not designed to run effectively with that little memory."

Well it might explain a lot as my old laptops have 256mb of memory,

I thought Linux needed less resources so was better for lower speck machines. Seems this is not the case and explains why mine ran so slow.
It really was painfully slow at that.....

Oh hum.....
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I thought Linux needed less resources so was better for lower speck machines. Seems this is not the case and explains why mine ran so slow.
It really was painfully slow at that.....
It can run with lower resources, but it needs some of the less user frendly distributions, with a lot of the bells and whistles turned off.

What part of the operation was slow? I know you mentioned the boot taking some time.

The desktop tends to be resource hungry, a command line only install will run on a slow cpu, low memory machine (I use such a machine as a mail server), but that would have defeated the purpose of you installing it. Linux is great at the command line (thats where I spend most of my time), but its certainly not for the user looking for a windows replacement.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Yes it was slow to boot, but as you say you don't need to do that every min do you,

Opening any aps was also a tad slow, writing a doc I had to wait for the letters to appear on screen and I can't type fast.

I have another laptop somewhere with 700mhz and 512mb of memory, maybe that would be a better choice. It's a bit ropey though, gave it to the kids way back, that was a mistake cos it was a nice machine.

Screen hanging off, catch broken, cracked casing....they'll not get another. They have a desktop now and that seems to be surviving OK.