jeni hankins

Share the music that moves you.......
ed
retired

#1 jeni hankins

Post by ed »

A friend(s) organised a house concert which I and about 25 other friends and family attended yesterday. The star was Jeni Hankins, a west Virginia mountain folk singer who the organisers had seen a few times when she was touring the UK. It seems she performs quite a lot at house concerts....a format I'd never attended before, in fact I'd only ever heard of this thing once before when Willy Barrett and John Otway did it years ago for the 1st purchasers of an album. So totally informal.

Another friend did a few songs as the support...

The format is brill, the occasion was brill, the atmosphere was brill, the food was brill, Jeni Hankins was awesome.

Not my usual cup of tea but super entertaining, for all ages, kids included. JH sings of family history from the Appalachians and intersperses the songs with family related stories. She even plays the sewing machine for one number(you had to be there).

a thumbs up recommend for Jeni Hankins.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: jeni hankins

Post by Dave the bass »

House Concert. Like the concept, s'nice.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: jeni hankins

Post by IslandPink »

I shall look out for her, thanks for the info.
ed wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:26 am A friend(s)

once before when Willy Barrett and John Otway did it years ago for the 1st purchasers of an album
I like the new concept of a friend(s) !

Barrett and Otway - superb, even 'really free' .
My mate from London said he came across them one day just on the pavement somewhere in central London performing a couple of their songs, people stood around trying to make sense of Barrett launching into these crazy solos after each verse.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Richard Higgins
User

#4 Re: jeni hankins

Post by Richard Higgins »

Otway performed solo in one of my local pubs a few months ago for free to celebrate his roadies birthday, great fun.

An annual Otway gig is May Morning in behind The Bear pub in Oxford. This year he had his "big Band" with him because he was launching a new album.
May Morning officially starts at 6.30am with a choir singing from the top of Magdelen College tower.
Otway says he must be the star, because he comes on second, at 7.30am.
I've been for at least the last 6 years, it puts a different slant on the day when one is merry by 10.00am.

Cheers

Richard