An appreciation of Ringo

Share the music that moves you.......
shane
Social outcast

#1 An appreciation of Ringo

Post by shane »

Always thought of as the joke Beatle, I've always had a feeling that he was just as important as the rest of them. Someone's put it into better words than I can. (Thanks to Tom on AoS for finding this).

http://www.spectator.co.uk/arts/arts-fe ... -have-him/
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes, I've always been of the opinion that Ringo's drumming was the sound of The Beatles,
in just the same way that Motown drummers Richard "Pistol" Allen and Benny Benjamin were the sound of Motown.
Deceptively simple all three of them, but nobody has ever been able to imitate their sound.

That is my definition of uniqueness, and Ringo is a unique drummer.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by Paul Barker »

Good article but I fell asleep after 1/4 of it and jumped to the concluding paragraph.

People need to be more succinct. If he was writing a dissitation he would have been on the money for a mark, but to keep the attention of jo public, change writing style.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
andrew Ivimey

#4 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Apparently John Lennon was once asked if he thought Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world (given the standing of the Beatles at the time). He is supposed to have replied, 'Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles!'

I wonder ...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by Dave the bass »

Ringo is great.

Why, only the other day I was sitting there in my local converted Cinema with 'the girls', big ol' felt tip in hand ready to blot out number 14 and shout out "LINE" at the top of my voice whilst drinking a ridiculously large cocktail.

Ringo 4 Evarrr!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by IslandPink »

Good call on 'Tomorrow never knows' .
Some of his best work must be on 'Plastic Ono Band' , though .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#7 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by Greg »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Apparently John Lennon was once asked if he thought Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world (given the standing of the Beatles at the time). He is supposed to have replied, 'Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles!'

I wonder ...
Read the full article, Andrew, where it says......

A specific stab at Starr was once attributed to John Lennon himself. Apparently asked if he thought Ringo was the best drummer around, Lennon is said to have replied that he wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles. Were the attribution correct, Lennon might slyly have been alluding to McCartney — Paul drummed on some late Beatles. But Lennon didn’t say it. Beatles biographer Mark Lewisohn has apparently traced them to the Brummie comic Jasper Carrott, who seems to have made the quip in 1983, three years after Lennon’s murder.
andrew Ivimey

#8 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh for God's sake, if I knew there was 'the full article' then of course I would have read it. Hence like Jasper Carrott I was making or telling a joke and there was enough in what I said that showed I doubted its actual authenticity as having come from John Lennon. imho It is a funny remark however.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Greg
Social outcast

#9 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by Greg »

Sorry, I inocently was trying to be helpful.

Your OFGS response simply exposes your ignorance regarding this thread. If you open the link in Shane's original post you can read the full article all about Ringo.

Clearly you have not done this, which no doubt resulted in your ignorant reply.

Making or telling a joke? Get real. Nothing you said was funny. It was just a repeat of what others had third handedly said before which is apparently wrong.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by pre65 »

Steady on Greg. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#11 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I have read the article - my apologies. My posting was not necessary as it was too questioning whether John Lennon had really said the remark that has been attributed to him. Jasper Carrott got the laugh - fine.

But I did not realise that it was necessary to read every posting and to research web links before commenting.(Is there an Audio Talk Rule Book however much some of us would undoubtedly feel more secure if there was one?) I am sure I am not the only person who has been guilty of this less than heinous offence; that of not quite reading everything that has been said so far n a thread before putting fingers to keyboard...)

Now why the anger, why the aggression??? Mine was a foolish mistake not worthy of the nastiness it seems to have provoked in one of our readers?
Greg
Social outcast

#12 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by Greg »

Thank you Andrew.

Well, my take is if replies are to be constructive, all that has gone before needs to have been read and properly concidered which helps the poster to contribute with something worthwhile.

As for aggression or even wrongly suggested nastiness (really dislike your use of spin there) my response was prompted by your own OFGS response. I took that personally as an aggressive statement which I didn't like so I responded accordingling based on how your reply made me feel.

Having said that,we can both just get over this. I've forgotten it already. No big deal.......let's move on :)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: An appreciation of Ringo

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thought this might be interesting

Ringo shows how to play Ticket to Ride, Come Together, and Back Off Boogaloo.

Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.