Celestion 8" Field Coil

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
cressy
Shed dweller

#16 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by cressy »

Ive got some audax tweeters that im not using if you want to try them. I used them in the other metronomes crossed over with a 1 uf cap the give a crossover point at about 9 k
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#17 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Can't harm to try them. I was thinking 1uF. Actually got a couple of 1.2uF out of the shed.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
cressy
Shed dweller

#18 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by cressy »

I'll dig them out
Paul Barker

#19 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Ta, I've integrated a sub quite nicely flat from 40hz and no oddities where it crosses over, main speakers come in just fine.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#20 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Couldn't bring myself to try the Audax.

Instead been spending quite some time trying the various paper cone tweeters I've collected.

The winner by a country mile is the Saba Green Cone. No surprises there then.
This one of the pair arrived with torn paper, but at the frequencies I'm using it for, I doubt it matters. Though I will try to find a replacement.
The also rans. Best of these is the Grundig circular one(in middle of three drivers pictured below) the other circular one is out of the ball park. The other one about same dimensions as the Green Cone is a Jap offering. I bought four of these for £15. But they are not acting like a tweeter at all. I can only assume they are full rnge drivers meant for tv's or similar. All the four paper cone speakers are alnico and all but Green Cone about same efficiency. The grundig is a great little speaker but the Green Cone overtakes it with subtle delicate high's. The other circular one is sibilant and the grundig is in some way that I can't explain wrong.

I'm scared to cut the box and put the greencone in. I feel tweeters belong in free air sat on top. Was it Morgan who told a similar experience on Saturday? Poor bugger's going to get blaimed for everything now.
Paul Barker

#21 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

I am itching to disect the Sabas and turn them into field coils.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by IslandPink »

You can inset the tweeter into the main box, but it needs to have an airtight cover or chamber on the back to isolate it from the in/out pressure of the main driver. Doesn't need to be very big - not much bigger than the tweeter basket.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"