Bass guitar amplifiers

We all start somewhere
Neal
Shed dweller

#1 Bass guitar amplifiers

Post by Neal »

Guys after some advice and guidance, my nephew is coming up 17 soon, he's been playing Bass guitar for a few years and is getting quite good. He has a cheap SS practice amp but has been looking at valves and reading up on them, whenever he comes over he takes a very healthy interest in my amps and hi-fi. Given his interest and with the approval of his Dad I said I'll look into what options are available for a good valve based practice amp. I've seen there are kits available but there are so many and it looks like a minefield.....so what advise could you give? Go for a kit, which one? Look for a second hand amp? Or go with a prebuilt one. Cost is important! Not sure what the budget is but I suspect we are looking at no more than £250, not much I know.... All advise appreciated.....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Bass guitar amplifiers

Post by IslandPink »

Shame JamesD isn't posting at the moment - he'd know exactly what to recommend.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Bass guitar amplifiers

Post by pre65 »

An 833a push pull should do the job. :shock: :lol:

Seriously though, if you want overdrive and saggy power supplies a "proper" guitar amp (or circuit) might be best.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Bass guitar amplifiers

Post by Nick »

Dave will have the canonical answer to this, but I really doubt if valves are the way to go.
Seriously though, if you want overdrive and saggy power supplies a "proper" guitar amp (or circuit) might be best.
Generally that is exactly what you dont want from a bass amp.

Probably the most successful valve bass amp is the Fender Baseman, But that success is because guitarists found it made a great guitar amp.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#5 Re: Bass guitar amplifiers

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Second what Nick says and also bear in mind that the cabinet is important too. For bass you need to start with clarity and ahem "speed". I liked using a 4 x 10 cabinet depending on the venue. Back in the day I used an HH (solid State) amp for bass...then keyboards.

When my Hi-Watt fifty conked out I used a fender bassman for lead guitar for a couple of years.

Nowadays I'd consult our Dave asa he gets back from going mad in devon, dorset or wherever.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Bass guitar amplifiers

Post by Dave the bass »

I'd be inclined to ask what Neal's Nephew expects/needs from an all-Valve bass amp, if its simply 'louder' I'd add a another '0' onto that 250 quid to be realistic! I'm out of touch but ..., IMO, whilst valves are great in guitar amps and possibly HiFi amps too... £250 wont get you far in Bass amps. However its does come close buying this -> http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-combos/ ... -combo.asp

Sure, a gurt big growling stack is great to aim for and have one day but at 17 years old lugging it around and storing it will be hard as they generally weigh a ton and are mahoosive.

That TC Electronics amp has 250W on tap, a 15" driver for grunt and a horn for twang in addition to tuner and effects. I like TC's FX units and I'd imagine their amps are good too, I've not heard this in person yet. Amazing value but try before buying of course.

I'm with our-MrI, I like multiples of 10" bass drivers too and ended up perfectly happy with a 2 x 10" 350W SWR combo amp for small gigs and an additional further 2 x 10" cab for bigger gigs. Clean, snappy, speedy and punchy on stage, let the PA do the LF grunt work!

An ECC83 in the front end might appeal to the fella but TBH most of the sound is in the players head/technique and fingers, guitarists can crunch and distort their way heaven, bassists often simply need clean power along the same pathway :)
Last edited by Dave the bass on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
steve s
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Bass guitar amplifiers

Post by steve s »

My daughter plays bass in a couple of bands, after a few home made set ups and then using one of her powered mixers i found a peavey heavyweight combo, it sound much better and apart from the size and weight it was a bargan at £90 ...
Certainly not worth the effort making one and quite good enough for most gigs .. On stage it looks impressive..
If he starts playing gigs.. they are usually d/i 'd in anyway so the amp don't matter too much
Over the next few weekends the amp will do some travelling, probably 1000 miles in the back of the van.. Valves are out really
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Neal
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Bass guitar amplifiers

Post by Neal »

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll pass the info on. I don't think he's quite at the gig stage yet so it's more for practice....that link is great Dave thanks, much to ponder.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.