EnABL

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
chris661
Shed dweller

#61 Re: EnABL

Post by chris661 »

Mark, have you tried running that same Suzanne Vega track through these? - its possible that, while the performance through the vocal range was very good on my FE126s, they were missing in other areas and you're noticing that now.
Also, IIRC you heard them with a 6EM7 SET amp, which was, at best, 2w/ch, so there's a fair chance of plenty of low-order distortion and compression on the peaks.
Mine have phase plugs, which improve dispersion in the mid-treble, but lose the very top end, since its usually just the dustcap radiating >10kHz.

Just trying to figure out some of the discrepancies we've got, since the FE103 and FE126 are very similar drivers.

Coating the cone ought to take out some of the roughness towards the upper mid and treble.

Chris
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#62 Re: EnABL

Post by IslandPink »

I haven't got any Suzanne Vega to use Chris :D but I admit I'm a bit confused about the whole thing.
Just got back from an exhausting 2-day trip to NPL (Teddington) with work, so will comment more in next couple of days, thanks for replying. I haven't given up on this entirely, I think cone treatments are under-explored, as an area of audio endeavour.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"