Raspberry Pi 3

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Raspberry Pi 3

Post by pre65 »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: Raspberry Pi 3

Post by jack »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/29/raspberry_pi_3/

This has been around for a while - it actually went for FCC approval last November - the interesting thing is the integrated WiFi and BT (though it appears to be the low-power variant). One downside is still only 1Gb of RAM - very odd, considering that they've also moved to 64-bit addressing - but on the plus, its another step big forward at a ridiculous price-point.

Nice boards - I use a few 2Bs for turning ordinary dumb TVs into wallboards for issue tracking and the like. Apart from integrated WiFi, I'd like to see integrated PoE (Power over Ethernet) which would allow easier remote powering of units - commercial PoE splitters are almost the same size as an RPi, and even a homebrew solution is a touch unwieldy...

#2 son for his thesis project is using a set of 2Bs plus an RPi development system (different Pi board) together with an Oculus Rift VR headset and rolls of fibre-optics to remotely control a robot that's crawling through underground pipes so that by looking around you appear to be actually on the small robot -i.e. the VR presence is as if you were in the pipe inspecting it locally - its really very nice indeed - he's not even an IT guy (he's a Civil Engineer), but he's done all of this with minimal help from his Dad, mostly in Python and PD tools.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt