Speaker cable

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

he's probably one of the sanest here
I resent that. I work very hard on my sanity, I take the box it lives in down from the top of the wardrobe and talk to it every day (shameless paraphrase).

And yes, I take it to be mad in the same sense as building a 212 amp using clip leads and optimism is mad.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Indeed, what is 'mad'?

I was looking for Thumper and found this ...

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Thumper also refers to large capacity single cylinder four stroke motorcycles. :wink:

Or, the class 205 diesel electric multiple units on the Southern region. :)

Or, the things we use for banging in stakes round dirt bike tracks. :)

PS who on earth would want speakers capable of damaging the windscreen ? :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

pre65 wrote:Or, the things we use for banging in steaks round dirt bike tracks. :)

Is this before or after the scale of the horse meat instead of beef scandal came to light? ;)
Chris :happy3:
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

:lol: Must be where horse power comes from.

Re other matters, no worries Nick. :^)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

One of our tracks is an old sand quarry later used for landfill. Seems local vets also used it to dump animal waste, so christ knows whats under the containing layers of dirt.

The little stream that flows after wet weather has rusty coloured water. :shock:

The site has vents which are monitored regularly by the environmental agencies.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote:Thumper also refers to large capacity single cylinder four stroke motorcycles. :wink:
Panther......On thump or engine cycle per telegraph pole :wink:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Interesting this discussion about speaker cables.

Last evening I rewired the eight inch widebander in my Metronomes, replacing the CAT5 run from the input terminals to the driver with 1mm polyurethane coated magnet wire, lightly twisted; about two turns per foot.

It made a difference, for the better, filling out the upper mids and removing a nasal quality, which though much reduced over the time I've had the speakers, was never completely sorted. Bass also loped along gaining even better timing than it already had gained with the amplifier power supply upgrades.

That was only about 2.5 feet of wire, but there it was, a difference that my wife noticed. I always judge any changes I make by the simple rule that if I notice and not my wife, then I'm fooling no-one but myself. OTOH if she notices then the difference is there.

After carrying out the wire change, I replaced the 1.5uF crossover caps with 2.2uF Obbligato brass tube polypropylenes. Something I have been meaning to do for around six months, but never got around to. This moved the tweeter lower limit down slightly, and smoothed things out nicely, making for a luxurious presentation that hits all the right buttons for this listener.

The missus again noticed the change and approved of it.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

SteveTheShadow wrote
I replaced the 1.5uF crossover caps with 2.2uF Obbligato brass tube polypropylenes

I'm not surprised this made a difference Steve. With a 1.5uF first order cap on the tweeter this crosses over around 13kHz. Using a 2.2uF cap lowers this to around 9kHz.

If you check out the frequency plot for your Fostex FF225wk driver it has a nasty 10dB dropout (90dB to 80dB) from 8kHz to 10kHz, bottoming out at 9kHz. It will be this region of frequecies you will be hearing the most benefit it will have nothing to do with the fact the cap was an Obliggato Brass Tube jobbie.
Colin TQ
User

Post by Colin TQ »

Greg,

Your remark about me thinking Nick was mad oh WRONG, I thought he was a nice guy with a inquiring mind.
Your other reasoning is true.
1) I have had stuff stolen from my designs.
2) I will not be telling the world full of possible crooks and bandits how things work that I have designed. Only from my past experience you understand.
3) I have a hell of a time writing, and I get grammar and spelling very wrong now days, whoops my bad, should not have had a stroke.
4) I would love to tell and teach, has I have done in the past 40years but see 2). And my co directors wrath would be unbelievable if I gave away ideas now so shhhh.
But I do want you and others to learn so I will and do post links to sites that may or may not inspire you.

To sum up, enjoy the music, but if you want to learn open your ears and eyes, find the facts, examine all angles, and think.

Now I am going to read about George Harrison and Longitude, whilst I listen to some random Jazz.

Bye Col
Designed,
Inca Tech,Inca Design, Inca Plug,Root 2 Relays,T.O.C.A.,Oxford Acoustics,Magnum,M.I.H.,
Tellurium Q all the above products.
RD for Naim,Cambridge, NASA, Hughes,Plessey,CDC,Crydom,Douglas Randal,Lucas,Audium,JJ Jessop,Hutchinsons.
Jazzman53
User

Post by Jazzman53 »

Yes,
I have built cross-connected coaxial speaker cables. I just joined here today so I can't post a link now but I will do so in a few days.
Progmeister
User

#117 Re: Speaker cable

Post by Progmeister »

robert wrote:Good Day

What would the forum members recommend for cheapish speaker cable,and has any one used satellite cable ?.

Robert
Nowt wrong with Van Damme. I use the studio grade stuff and it's brill. Also the Belkin AV cables are mind blowing for the money.
"People turn to poison quicker than lager turns to piss". JCC. :D
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#118 Re: Speaker cable

Post by IslandPink »

The situation has changed.
Some clues so far -
http://audiochews.com/discussion/1673/c ... -do#latest
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
rowuk
Old Hand

#119 Re: Speaker cable

Post by rowuk »

I have had the best luck by putting the amplifier next to the speaker and simply using VERY short lengths of wire. I find that line level interconnects are easier than speaker wire. While I was at it, I changed to a crossover before the amps and connected the speakers directly.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#120 Re: Speaker cable

Post by IslandPink »

I would agree with you on both these points.
Nevertheless Colin ( 'AntiCrap' at present ! ) has provided me with the best speaker cable design I've yet used . It'll be interesting to see what ( now released from TQ ) he can provide in terms of technical guidance.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"