WD25Tex. What is this down to ?

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
VantheMan
User

#1 WD25Tex. What is this down to ?

Post by VantheMan »

I have fitted a 1% 2R7 metal film resistor that I already had, in series with the tweeter coil in place of the standard green wirewound (?) 2R2 resistor included in the priginal WD25TEx kit..
I quite like the results insofar as it´s a tad warmer sounding but it seems to have lost its pin-point imaging. Lead singers seem to come at you from nowhere in particular. Might this be down to the higher value or the different type of resistor ?
In other words, should I go for a 2R7 Mills or a 2R2 metal film to get back to where I was, but a bit nicer.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Have you checked if the speakers are in phase ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
VantheMan
User

Post by VantheMan »

Yes, I have. I use Speakons which I haven´t touched. The rest of the spectrum sounds really fine, it´s just the lead singers that I don´t know where they are coming from. It´s not unpleasant, just different.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Metal films I find are not the best-sounding types. They also have more inductance than other types, for the same value, which might affect the crossover characteristics a bit . You might want to try another type of resistor at the same value. Mills are good though, non-inductive ( usually ) . With speakers the best I've found are the BI Industries planar power resistors from RS .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
VantheMan
User

Post by VantheMan »

It would appear BI don´t do 2R2 resistors, jumping from 2R0 to 4R7. 10% difference. Mind you I dare say the originals had similar tolerance. I´ll probably stick to 2R2 Mills.
VantheMan
User

Post by VantheMan »

It would appear BI don´t do 2R2 resistors, jumping from 2R0 to 4R7. 10% difference. Mind you I dare say the originals had similar tolerance. I´ll probably stick to 2R2 Mills.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Are you replacing like wattage resistors for the originls?
For a tweeter I would not go any lower than a 5W rating and my preference would either be a Mundorf M-Resist 10W MOX or Jantzen 10W Superes. Both are designed specifically for speaker XO use. I find these better than the Mills MRA12 series wirewound.

If you go lower than a 5W you could blow your tweeter.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Surely you're more likely to blow the resistor, Colin?

Besides, for domestic use, I'd expect even a 1w resistor to survive so long as levels stay sensible. There's only a tiny fraction of the amplifier being dissipated in the high-frequency section (including the tweeter). If the power test at diyAudio is to be believed, most people are running at less than a watt per side. The HF section might be seeing 1/10th of a watt, most of which will be absorbed by the tweeter.

Of course, if you want to turn it up, +10dB sounds twice as loud and needs 10x the power, so components must be scaled accordingly.

Chris