Pink Floyd last album

Greg
Social outcast

#1 Pink Floyd last album

Post by Greg »

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

..... and about time too (IMO)! :) Lets discuss.

I really like PF but boy O Boy have they trundled along since The Wall IMO. The albums just dont have whatever it was that made them appeal to me since The Wall which I still think is ace. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I thought I'd go and see if the magiuc is there live sooo... I've seen them twice but never in the classic album era I admit. I 1st saw them at Wembley Stadium on the 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' Tour 88/89 ish IIRC. Mega Stage show and Quintaphonic (I think) but the actual music and feel was sooooo dull and low. Very disappointing said the majority of us who went.

When the Division Bell came out they announced they were doing Earls Court ('95/'96 ish maybe, I'd have to look at the ticket stub to confirm), "WOW", we both said (JTS is a PF fan too as were her Bro and Sis in law who we went with) "lets go and give em a 2nd try".

Oh dear. Same again I'm afraid. Started off on a mega high "Interstellar Overdrive" and after that it became the Dave Gilmour band again and just seem to plod along, he had a particular sound that he was using at that time and as JTS's ace guitarist Bro said "Here comes another DG solo again ....kerrrrrrrrgggung...." by which he explained they all sounded the same. Very disappointing again. The funny over-riding memory I'm sad to say is making our way back to Barry's company car and find a large pice of white fish slap bang in the middle of the passenger side windscreen, totally stripped of any batter, just the white fleshy bit inside.

Odd! :lol: We 'analysed' the meaning of the fish more on the way home than how the gig actually was.

By contrast, Live at Pompei is a fab gig of them playing their experimantalist little bums off and a I lurrrrrve that film footage so its not as though I'm just a 'Syd' era fan.

Whats other's views?

Hope this is OK to waffle on about on yer thread Greg. If it isnt we'll start another Phloyd Fread.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

No problem, Dave, welcome your response.

I am a floyd fan and have enjoyed all their products although I tend to agree that The Wall was the pinnicle of their creativity. Amanda and I had front row centre stage seats at Earl's Court for their 25th anniversary tour and loved the concert. I didn't detect the dissatisfaction you found. In particular we thought Guy Pratt on bass added something better than previously offered by Roger Walters, and to add to the experience, being seated close to the stage, Guy seemed to be making regular eye contact with Amanda which rather excited her :cry: :wink:

I have all Dave Gilmour's solo albums and none of them are a patch on the original group presentations.

To be honest, I anticipate this last album will be a bit of a disappointment. Apparently featuring Rick Wright in homage to him, we have to be honest and recognise that on his own, he didn't have a lot of individual, dynamic or creative competence, albeit he worked well in the band. Interesting that both Dave Gilmour's and Nick Mason are now saying they failed to give Rick the recognition he deserved. That seems bad taste to me after all this time when previously Roger rejected him, the others stuck up for him, and then after his return and subsequent death, they now want to highlight his talent. Well it's a good excuse to make a new album and make some more money :cry:

Sorry, I'm being very cynical but I'm afraid that is my take on it. However, as Pink Floyd when most creative probably remain my most favourite band and because I have everything they ever recorded and marketed, it would be nonsense not to buy their latest and apparently last recording.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

The Wall never moved me much I'm afraid. Two tracks on it I liked, but that's it.

Later I got hold of a pirate copy of The Final Cut, managed to endure sitting through it start-to-end only once. That was the last PF album I bought. It's mostly just Waters whingeing on about the Falklands war. Cassette finally went in the bin during a later tidying up session.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

See Emily Play, Arnold Layne singles - fab.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Meddle, DSOTM, Wish You Were Here and Animals
superb albums.

The rest I found a bit heavy going and complex for the sake of it.

There are a couple of tracks from albums I haven't mentioned; tracks such as, Careful With That Axe Eugene and Grantchester Meadows, so for me there were a few bright sparks, between PATGOD and Meddle but I'm firmly in their 70s output phase for favourites.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Grantchester Meadows - good call Steve ; and 'The Narrow Way' also from Ummagumma, fabulous stuff . As you can tell I'm a fan of the early stuff ( up to Animals ) . I could never get fully into 'The Wall' , didn't share Waters' cynicism about education - I was off to University around the time it was popular !
I'll clear off now ...
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

I really enjoyed the wall when it was released.
And then I started disliking it.

Haven't bought any PF album after that, I'm afraid.
I sold my copy of the wall, but I think I might have it on a CD, not really sure.
- Jan -
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I studied The Wall at school.... (that doesn't mean I spent ALL the time sitting in the corner with a hat on looking at the wall OK!) in an experimental music class that was rolled out that year when I was about 14. Proper schooling that... listen to Pink Floyd, study the lyrics, the sounds being made and occasionally draw what you heard and discuss.

DTB
slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

And? Was the wall experimental?
- Jan -
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

slowmotion wrote:And? Was the wall experimental?
I think the album was chosen instead of what the school usually used in music classes which was folk and Classic/Orchestral Based. So experimental in that it might engage more kids in music appreciation, yeah.

I still like it to this day.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Mike H wrote:Later I got hold of a pirate copy of The Final Cut, managed to endure sitting through it start-to-end only once. That was the last PF album I bought. It's mostly just Waters whingeing on about the Falklands war
Agree. Probably the worst album they ever produced and completely dominated by Waters which rather reflected the politics in the band at the time.

I notice that many here don't care for The Wall. Interesting as it is my favourite of all their albums.
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

My favourite has pretty much always been wish you were here. Quite a desolate album, in terms of what i think it was looking at, i think it was the idea of loneliness and a certain detatchment from reality that ive identified with at certain points. I do like comfortably numb and goodbye blue sky off the wall.