Rubbish Tip Speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Puffin
User

#1 Rubbish Tip Speakers

Post by Puffin »

Saw these outside a house I deliver to. Cabinets poor, mid-ranges perished, had been out in the rain for?????? Owner said he was just about to take them to the dump, and yes I could take them

After many hours at the grease that is elbow, they don't look too bad.

Last edited by Puffin on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Nice job Rob!
What did you use to refoam the midrange drivers - I noticed that at least one of them was perished.
Chris :happy3:
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I wonder if he had anything else he didn't want? :D

Always had a soft spot for HB3s. They're not the easiest of speakers to get the best out of, but under the right conditions they can really sing.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Puffin
User

Post by Puffin »

Both mid-ranges were perished. Got replacements from a guy on net from the Netherlands for £12.

I was going to say that they need a lot of power up 'em to get them singing. I am used to 94dB speakers and the pre has to go a lot further to get a decent sound level and that is with 150w monoblocks.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

They can certainly soak up power. The design was developed using a pair of EAR509s, so efficiency wasn't forefront in the mind!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Puffin
User

Post by Puffin »

Shane, I think it might have been you who posted on (AOS?) that they had intended to make an active version (hence the large backplate/hole on the rear. I think that an active bass unit on these is essential. If you push them hard the upper frequencies just dominate. I understand they should be used hard up against a wall. I have never liked the presentation of speakers used in this way. I like it far better if there is lots of air around them.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Yes that's right. In 1983 there was a bit of a trend for active loudspeakers (remember ALSO?) so the HB3 crossover was put on a removable panel to allow it to be replaced with an amplifier module. I'm not sure if you can see it jn yours because they have the "decorative" plastic decal covering the whole of the baffle, but there was a hole in the baffle to allow the insertion of a bolt to support the back end of the amp module. It never went beyond the bright idea stage, though. I don't think any prototype amps were ever actually built. Nice idea though!

As with many of PJCs designs, they were intended to be used against a wall, and will sound a bit bass-light of they're out in the fresh air.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

If you want to go active, then the TPA3116 amp modules might be a cheap (and good) way to go.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5632
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I was wondering about that. There's plenty of room on the crossover panel to fit a couple of those.
Puffin
User

Post by Puffin »

pre65 wrote:If you want to go active, then the TPA3116 amp modules might be a cheap (and good) way to go.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5632
I saw those on here the other day. I have implemented lots of ClassD boards (TA2024, TA202O and 50w one TK2050? - not sure) Would be a cheap way to do it, but what about an electronic crossover?
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Excellent find. :)

If you don't want to design a custom filter, you could use one from say, Behringer or if you're happy with computer audio a Minidsp. Neither are devoid of issues as-is (like any component) though. There are advantages (and disadvantages) to active, but you still need to account for / design according to the actual acoustic responses of the drivers on the baffle / in the enclosure. So you'll need to measure these to do it properly -whether you decide to back-engineer the existing filter & implement it actively, or decide to do something different.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Just found a variation on the 3116 theme which give 2 x 50W channels and 1 100W channel. Intended for stereo plus sub-woofer, but possibly good for a 3-way crossover?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assembled-TPA ... 8515&rt=nc
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

On closer inspection, maybe not. I'd assumed it had 3 inputs, but it only has a single stereo input so must do it's own cross-over for the sub output. Pity, it was rather neat.
Puffin
User

Post by Puffin »

shane wrote:On closer inspection, maybe not. I'd assumed it had 3 inputs, but it only has a single stereo input so must do it's own cross-over for the sub output. Pity, it was rather neat.
Ah well, thanks for looking :)
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Yeah, but the crossover and summing is likely to be around a TL072 or similar. Shouldn't be difficult to trace back, giving a 2x50w + 1x100w amplifier module with 3 inputs.

Chris