Credit where it's due!

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

vinylspinner wrote:Island Pink, sorry, I meant 25.4, put the point in the wrong place.

I was on the right lines then, it is the driver size, post 1 states 5.5 inch, not 6.5 inch.

Nigel
That is because we are usually doing a quick calc in our heads from a centimeter to an inch. when working in millimeters which is the correct way, we need to shift the decimal one place. Depends at what level you are thinking.

Interesting that the modern generation who don't think in feet and inches have a very poor handle on what the numbers represent in a spacial image in the mind. Those of us in the building trade who have the experience of visualising an object in feet and inches do the head calc from decimal quickly and then we can visualise the size of the object. But now that I am training my 16 year old son to be a gas fitter I realise that his generation have been left with no tools to visualise size easily because of decimal. He has no idea what to expect. It's really quite strange. They go through school with a load of instructions that they cannot relate to real situations. Scary how poor the government enforced teaching agenda is these days.

Oh how much better things were when you gave the teacher the power to pass on true and practical knowledge of use to their later life.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

I grew up taught only the Metric system through school (I'm 36 later this year). I generally work in Imperial though. Partly because I'm a historian, so for obvious reasons, this comes up more in what I do, but also because I find it easier to work in Imperial. Suits me better. But I convert between the two easily enough; there's a place for the old ways and Metric + / SI units.

I haven't seen the review yet (will get a copy as soon as the new magazine is out) but it sounds very positive. Many thanks to Noel Keywood & very glad they went down well. :D All credit in particular to Colin and Nick.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

I can visualise an object in feet and inches easier than in metric measurements, i can look at something and think for example that it looks about 4 foot 6. My other half however, hasnt a clue what 4 foot 6 looks like, and when asking me to build something for her guinea pig shed has to draw out sketch, just so i know what she is on about.
Perhaps it is because i learned to make things at a fairly young age under the teutelage of my grandad, dad and since my early 20s my father in law john, so had a very solid and dare i say old school base to work on.
Very good review, well done guys
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Yes a very positive review. I thought we might get 4-globes after Scott spoke to Noel regards the measures of the speakers and the wiring of the front firing tweeter, but 5-globes is a very welcome result. Credit must go to Scott for the crossover design. The success or failure of this style format speaker is all in the crossover. I can't take any the credit here.

Noel picked up a very valid point regards protection of the rear firing silk dome tweeter. These were a suggestion from Nick, which as it has turned out has been a plus bonus suggestion. So credit to Nick for that. In all future builds we shall be using a silk dome tweeter with a built in protective shield around the silk dome. The speakers will also be offered with optional full face front grilles. These were not with the sample pair.

However, Noel doesn't really know his wood species. The only mistake I could find in the review where Noel commented the sample pair of speakers were in a matt oiled Teak wood finish. In fact they are natural oiled American Cherry veneer.

All-in-all a very chuffed Toppsy. :lol: :D :D :D
Last edited by Toppsy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Paul Barker wrote: Interesting that the modern generation who don't think in feet and inches have a very poor handle on what the numbers represent in a spacial image in the mind. Those of us in the building trade who have the experience of visualising an object in feet and inches do the head calc from decimal quickly and then we can visualise the size of the object. But now that I am training my 16 year old son to be a gas fitter I realise that his generation have been left with no tools to visualise size easily because of decimal. He has no idea what to expect. It's really quite strange. They go through school with a load of instructions that they cannot relate to real situations. Scary how poor the government enforced teaching agenda is these days.

Oh how much better things were when you gave the teacher the power to pass on true and practical knowledge of use to their later life.
Feel quite lucky to have had the training early on in life - I can visualise the size of something measured in inches better than centimetres. For precise work, I use mm. When its not too critical, inches all the way.

IMHO, Lego works wonders for helping to visualise stuff in 3D.

These days I use SketchUp, which is a rather nice free CAD package.

Chris
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

I haven't bought HiFi World in years but will go and grab myself a copy. 8)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

I grew up with imperial measurement and have no problem visualising measurements in yards, feet and inches. When I became a professional police diver we worked in metric. I learnt the metric scale and now have no problem visualising length in that respect. In consequence, I am happy using either systems but actually, preference now causes me to use metric first because it is simpler and current. Whoops, sorry to encourage the thread drift :oops:
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Toppsy wrote: All-in-all a very chuffed Toppsy. :lol: :D :D :D
Topps-notch !
- very pleased for you Colin.
I'll get a copy of the mag next time I have chance.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Only a month late to the parrtayyyy. Just read the review in HFW, our boys dun good.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Cheers Dave! :)