Hi Res Internet Radio

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
rowuk
Old Hand

#1 Hi Res Internet Radio

Post by rowuk »

There are quite a few decent internet radio stations with a resolution over 190kb. I have found a couple that even promote better listening habits by playing entire pieces instead of just single movements. Here is a shortlist of my favorites (iTunes links):

Audiophile Baroque (320kb/44.1k): http://50.7.173.162:8010/
BBC Radio 3 (320kb/32k): http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls
Linn Classical(320kb/44.1k): icy://89.16.185.174:8004/stream
Concertzender.NL(192kb/48k): http://www.concertzender.nl/streams/klassiek
Avro Baroque around the Clock(320kb/44.1k): http://ics2mss.omroep.nl:80/radio4-bb-m ... &stream=ok
NRK Klassisk(192kb/48k): http://lyd.nrk.no/nrk_radio_klassisk_mp3_h.m3u
NRK Jazz(192kb/48k):http://lyd.nrk.no/nrk_radio_jazz_mp3_h.m3u
Only BrassAll Brass Band Radio(192kb/44.1k): http://173.192.205.181:80

Don't be stealing my bandwidth...............

Please note your hi res favorites!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I have to say my FM receiver resolves radio 3 best of any digital rendering I have experienced. I do hope they don't ever close FM transmission down.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Paul Barker wrote:I do hope they don't ever close FM transmission down.
They almost certainly will, but enjoy it while you can. I share your observation. Hopefully when they do close FM down, we'll be too old to worry about it :wink:
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Paul Barker wrote:I have to say my FM receiver resolves radio 3 best of any digital rendering I have experienced.
The feed to the transmitter has been 13bit PCM digital since the middle to late 1970s.
I think you are simply more accustomed to the playback vagaries via FM radio - it's most certainly not more accurate!

Now if you were to say that you think it sounds nicer .... ;)
Chris :happy3:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes but then DAB is not PCM either. BTW, I think the links are 14 bit NICAM now.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Nick wrote:Yes but then DAB is not PCM either. BTW, I think the links are 14 bit NICAM now.
A quick checkup on NICAM and it's quite likely been in use for 35 years or more :shock:
The point I was raising was that the analogue feed from the studio went as far as the ADCs on the way to the transmitter network ie not very far at all.

I have been quite impressed by the sounds coming from a working colleague's DAB+ radio lately, and quite often it ends up feeding the instore PA system that we've just fitted.

The radio is one of these ...

Chris :happy3:
rowuk
Old Hand

#7 The playing ground is the internet if you are not a local...

Post by rowuk »

Very seldom does a radio station use vinyl anymore, and even if the BBC did, what good is UK FM for me in Frankfurt?

Audiophile Baroque comes from Greece, Concertzender from Holland, Linn from Scotland. Hi Res internet radio gives us a base of fine music from around the world.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

When I first got into hifi the shop owner was very obsessive about the digital verses analogue situation. He sold me a CD player against his better judgement and kept telling me to go vinyl. After I went vinyl I was on his side.

Next he said record your CD's on to tape and them listen to them.

It makes no sense I could give you an argument to support. But after CD's were recorded onto a reel to reel and played back with that analouge media. The music was considerably better to my ears.

That experience was shared by the shop owner and his other analogue loving friends.

Now you can pontificate all you like about the reasons my hearing is tricked or flawed. I don't care about the nit picking endless discussions of technical reasons or emotional reasons. I just like what I like and go with that. I am not alone.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

One I listen to a lot at work - Vinyl Radio. An internet station that only plays vinyl. Mostly '60's and' 70's.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Class.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I thought so. :lol:
rowuk
Old Hand

#12 No ultrasound without infrasound

Post by rowuk »

Paul Barker wrote:..........

It makes no sense I could give you an argument to support. But after CD's were recorded onto a reel to reel and played back with that analouge media. The music was considerably better to my ears........
I can explain it - or at least I am very sure of myself. It was not only your ears. It is for the same reason that FM sounds so good: lack of high frequency extension. A tape recorder has a brick wall filter called the tape head gap. No frequencies smaller than the gap can be recorded! It just stops. FM has a similar situation with a brick wall filter for the 19khz pilot tone used for the stereo modulation. Especially the first CD recordings used microphones with resonances just over 20K and that caused havoc with aliasing during the recording and playback.

I think that we are slowly learning to deal with extension, but still have a ways to go. Microphones are built with the resonances at much higher frequencies than 50 years ago. We have learned a lot about quiet ground planes, eddy currents and other garbage in circuits. I think that resolution beyond 96/24 really does not help us at all sonically.

I find that if you have really transparent playback to 13K, you capture most all of the music. Even higher frequencies need to be balanced with true low frequency extension. One with out the other sounds like crap.

An experiment worthy of testing would be to take a top quality tape recording and playback heads back to back as a "hi fi filter". Also revealing is to use a good quality FM transmitter and a tuner (been there done that).