Faultfinding.

We all start somewhere
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Faultfinding.

Post by pre65 »

Never discount anything. :wink:

After replacing a valve base on my Pre3 the other channel stopped working. :evil:

I checked things through and could not find the fault. :? To cut a long story short it was one end of an interconnect had a broken wire. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Firebottle
User

Post by Firebottle »

In my experience the great majority of faults in electronic equipment are mechanical in nature.
Broken wire, dirty or loose contact, dry joint etc.

:shock: Alan
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Yep, I find that too. 30+ yrs in the Service side of Electronics I've found faults often occur where there's a Human interface with the machine, say like a knob/button/lever which'll either go noisy, fall off or get damaged physically. Next in line is the device had been dropped, repeatedly sometimes. Then comes fuses/leads and interconnects of all sorts, then finally comes an electronics fault, usually where either High Current or High Voltage is in use.

The remaining ~ 12.6543654321% are proper trixy :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
rowuk
Old Hand

#4 Sockets are subject to problems too

Post by rowuk »

I have had my share of aggrevation with all sockets except octal. even althour measuring with an ohmmeter was fine, the tubes act funny when the pin doesn't contact the "right" part of the socket.

Serious noise and distortion but everything measures well. Now I have a small wire brush to clean pins and sockets for every change of valves.
http://www.millrose.com/micro_twisted_wire_brushes.php

The cheap UX-4 and UX5 ceramic sockets also don't seem to like tube rolling.......
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.