Newbie in dire straits

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
bapu
User

Post by bapu »

Is onken kabinets the same as basreflex?
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Given your listening profile and that your happy with single drivers then I think the 12P or 10P would be fine, I can't say which would be more optimal tho; I have heard the 10P but I haven't heard it in a big box; the 10P does make a smashing monitor, however :)

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
bapu
User

Post by bapu »

Thank you very much Andrew.

Can you please tell me wich program is best to calculate cabinet size port size and length.

Regards Michael.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

WinISD Pro (the latest one) is rather good.

Hornresp has much more flexibility, but there's a bit of a learning curve there.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

WinISD and Hornresp are no good for designing a mini Onken type speaker. These are designed using Dave Dlugas (Planet10) personal set of calculations. If you want a bass reflex cabinet then yes WinISD is probably the easiest to use and will give you good results for a first time build.

However, should you want a floor-stander using either the A12 or A10 then perhaps a MLTL design would be best suited. I don't think WinISD can do MLTL's, not sure about Hornresp though, never used that programme.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Be wary about using the calculators on the above linked site. There are some useful bits & pieces there, but also some complete junk, & if you're new to speaker design, you may not know how to separate out the wheat from the chaff. The BR calculator for e.g. spits out essentially a QB3 (max-flat) alignment, which usually ends up being anything but in typical room conditions since zero account is made for room gain. Huge bass peaking tends to be the result.

Regarding Onkens, it depends what is meant by the term. The Onken 'proper' descends directly from the original bass reflex alignments, via the Jensen Ultraflex, where the massive vent systems are used to provide maximum efficiency at box tuning (Fb). The problem there of course is that you might not actually want maximum efficiency at Fb. Most of the time you don't. Dave Dlugos's Fonken / MarKen / whatever enclosures often look like Onkens, but they functionally are almost the diametric opposite in alignment terms. With these, he's using the friction of the high aspect ratio vents to provide a highly damped alignment akin to some leaky sealed boxes / (what are often incorrectly called) aperiodic alignments.

Re MLTLs, no, WinISD cannot calculate them. It's a good piece of software for sealed & regular vented box type speakers, but (but) you really need to know how to use it properly. Simply using one of the stock alignments it spits out is likely to result in sub-optimal performance. There are however plenty of designs out there for the Mark Audio drive units, ranging from MLTLs to bass reflex etc. Likewise for many other drivers, Fostex, Tang Band &c.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

metronomes with big drivers or the bipole ones with smaller drivers are superb
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

metronomes with big drivers or the bipole ones with smaller drivers are superb
Ant, the problem with that is Michael wants to build a pair of BR stand mount speakers for the A10.3 (gold) metal coned drivers.

I understand he is now sorted with a freebie design Scott posted up on diyaudio and available through Scott's Woden Designs web site.
bapu
User

#25 Easy

Post by bapu »

It's pure joy that the first build i do is something that is well tested and done by an experienced builder. I'm sure i want to make some sort of horn with the driver later on. but for now i would just like to get the driver home and let it make music as simpel and painless as possible. This is the speaker i am going to build

Thank you Scott for doing all the hard work for me :D

And thank you Colin for leading the way :D [/url]http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudi ... p.html[url][/url]
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

What about a DIY bass reflex using a vintage Tannoy DC or one of the newer Beyma DC drivers?
bapu
User

Post by bapu »

Not this time Reffc. This time i'm building a set of frugal horns. Drivers came in the mail today. So now i just need some better wether so i can start building. I also bought a small amp so they can get their playin period in the office.
Attachments
2014-03-26 17.27.31.jpg
bapu
User

#28 Spikes

Post by bapu »

Now i finaly got started. So far i got the spikes finished and painted. They get a brass plate to protect the wooden floor.

How do i attach a thumbnail
Attachments
1.jpg