Hi from Bonnie Scotland

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
JeanBeo
User

#1 Hi from Bonnie Scotland

Post by JeanBeo »

Hello everyone.
I am French but living in Scotland for now just over 10 years.
Before that I was in Paris and I discovered audio systems at the famous "la Maison de l'Audiophile" of which I became a regular visitor.
I love vinyl and old triodes based SE amplifiers.
I have been reading this forum for a wee while because of interesting threads that caught my attention and I noticed you were having a lot of fun discussing your projects together.
My next project will be using some forgotten triodes Philips 4624 / Telefunken RV258. I decided to join so I could get some help and hope you will not mind answering all my quirky questions.
Cheers
Jean-Noel
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Welcome aboard the good ship Audio Talk. :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

The data on the RV258 looks interesting. Have you managed to obtain some?

It is hard to tell but possibly the base is the same as the 212 base. But it is the same layout as the BR 4 pin base aswell. The 35 watts dissipation 800v would probably not be too much for the BR4 base. So maybe that is all it is. the 212 base is mammoth compared to BR4.

Obviously we have no experience of this valve. But it looks great.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Secondly, have you any AD1's? :D :D :D
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
JeanBeo
User

Post by JeanBeo »

Hi Steve and Paul,
Yes Paul I have some AD1, a pair of new Dario and I think 3 Philips (used but still good). Unfortunately they are French made and not German :wink:

The Rv258 has a funny socket (4 pins male instead of female) that I could not source anywhere (any idea?).
The Rv258 is electrically equivalent to the Philips 4624 which also has a different but uncommon socket called W4 (this time male) that I am also trying to find.
I must have 2 pairs of RV258 et maybe 3 pairs of 4624. I also hope to try later on this project the British DET25 (another unusual socket) as their operating conditions do not look too far.
I will post a thread on this project in a few days with some picture of the valves.
Unfortunately this is a medium term project as I have to first finish the extension to my house that I stupidly decided to tackle myself! Hopefully this should be finished by the end of this summer (I began 2 years ago).

Cheers
Jean-Noel