Basic crossover question

We all start somewhere
Greg
Social outcast

#1 Basic crossover question

Post by Greg »

Sorry for the basic question but it represents a gap in my limited knowledge.
If I want to replace a capacitor in a speaker midrange filter that is paralleled between +ive and -ive, would fitting an 8.2uF cap in place of an 8.0uF make any significant difference to sound? What might I detect aurally with this change?

Thanks,

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Greg,

I can't see it being a massive change! Is your 8.2uF cap 10% tolerance? If it is, the chances are your 8uF might be closer to 8.2uF (or what it really is) than you think. Equally, it could be the other way in which case you might be closer to the designed value with the new cap than you were with the old one.

That's the thing to bear in mind, if a part is within tolerance but not exactly the same, then replacing it and 'sucking it and seeing' isn't as daft as it sounds; they are most likely close enough not to matter. If the part is critical then folk would use a high tolerance part and pay the money or buy a bucket load and select the best. If it a critical value that's what you'll need to do, but without seeing the circuit its hard to tell; tho' I'm guessing with a speaker you'll be OK.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your helpful reply. Please see the attached file.

Current caps in the midrange driver filter are Solen 8.0uF 5% tolerance. What you say makes sense so I'm hoping going to Mundorf 8.2uF will work as a straight swop. They are rated at 3% +/- tolerance.

Hope that helps your further considerations.

Greg
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I think you're more likely to hear a change from the type of capacitor used, than a change from 8.2 to 8.0uF . I also agree with Andrew that the tolerance on those caps is likely to be comparable to that difference in value anyway . Definitely go ahead and try it , probably won't be audible if you use the same type.

Edit : just seen your circuit. Still fine - but if they are the White Mundorfs, they will proabably sound better than the Solens. I use the white Mundorfs ( sorry they used to be called 'Audyn Plus' or something ) on the Ariels, they were the best of all I tried. Are they the 800V DC/ 425AC ones ?
Last edited by IslandPink on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Sorry all for my incompetence in repeating the image attached.
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Thanks Mark. You guys increas my confidence with every post 😃
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Greg,
Falcon Acoustics are UK main Solen agents and they have in stock both 8.0uF and 8.2uF value Solen polyprops. I buy all my caps and XO components from them. I usually order these as either 2% or 5% tollerance depending on criticality of value as Andrew has mentions.

.http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/alcap- ... eries.html

How many do you want 2?

I might have a couple 8.0uF spare I could post you but Falcon turnaround of orders is usually very quick.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Thanks Colin. I actually have Solens fitted at the moment. I'm just carrying out some further upgrades, replacing the resistors with Mills and as Mark suggests, I'm considering using Mundorf as I know several others who report they sound better compared to Solens.
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)