RPi for NOOBS!

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The TDA1543 was not a top range chip.

It seems stacking loads of them was one way to improve the quality.

My Ebay dac (like yours) is much better. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

The TDA1543 was not a top range chip.
No, but many do like the sound or the r2r dac instead of the later designs.

Here is a £7k DAC that uses them

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/cad/1.html

I have a board somewhere with a stack of them on you can try if you like Paul.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

My RAKK dac can accept i2s so is ripe for an experiment. I already tap the i2s signals from a Juli@ sound card and use a proprietary solution to send it to the dac, more info here if anyone is interested;

http://www.raleighaudio.com/I2S%20Interface%20v3.1.pdf

I think I'll buy a HiFiBerry digi to get spdif out as a starter then hook up my i2s sender card and see what happens. If that works it would seem reasonable to think that hooking up the RPi i2s output directly to the dac board should also work.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

I'm also thinking that one of Andrew's regulator boards might be worth trying as a RPi power supply.

Ray
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes Phil my AK4396 was good while it worked.

Ray I'll see how you get on.

Nick yes please can I borrow your dac?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Paul Barker wrote:Nick yes please can I borrow your dac?
Will put it in the post, will check what power supply it needs.
Last edited by Nick on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you Nick.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you Ray I have waded through all of the links and the various relevant links of those links.

Some of the links explained terms I am beginning to learn.

It seems to me that if I have read things right that we are on the cusp of software announcements which quite easily (read cheaply and without disappointing not to mention costly failures) turn the P5 connector (which I don't have; just another in the serial bus of obstacles to i2s connectivity for me) into an i2s out which it doesn't appear to become without software.

I think that I still have to sit and wait while all these clever people bring out more software, and I think I have to buy a new rPi to which I can more easily draw out the p5 information, which I learned I could do from my board, but the instructions I found I didn't comprehend as much as 1% of. Had I been tasked to instruct someone how to connect a valve base, which is something similar I could have communicated it so that any fool could do it. I am learning that in this new geek environment I am trying to learn from the surface contact between the geek and the normal person in society isn't in the same room. Though I appreciate the attempts to bridge the gulf it is still the size of the Grand Canyon. there is so much assumed knowledge creating a serial buss of divisions accumulating to hand off the outsider.

I shall continue to watch and wait as the plot unfolds.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

for now I shall more than likely do that horrific thing of taking a usb to spdif converter to it. This in the hope that Volumio is written to work with USB which I think it may be. Or else I am searching for other software which I believe is out there waiting to be flashed to my micro SD.

Horrific though the usb out is for audio (apparently).
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I must repeat just how pleased I am with the rPi on Volumio. Not touched it for about a week. Bought some new headphones, thought I'd see how they sound on it. Plug it into the Ethernet, power and headphones, and it starts playing the last webradio station I had on a week ago, without me even going to a controller like the volumio website or the sound@home app. simply on it's own it plays music by default. To boot it sounds a lot better than the Android phone music player with same headphones.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:I must repeat just how pleased I am with the rPi on Volumio. Not touched it for about a week. Bought some new headphones, thought I'd see how they sound on it. Plug it into the Ethernet, power and headphones, and it starts playing the last webradio station I had on a week ago, without me even going to a controller like the volumio website or the sound@home app. simply on it's own it plays music by default. To boot it sounds a lot better than the Android phone music player with same headphones.
Think how nice it could be with a really good output stage then Paul.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

It'll come in the fullness of time.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

saw these little cases and thought they were cool
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pibow-Timber- ... 1e845cdbe8
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

cressy wrote:saw these little cases and thought they were cool
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pibow-Timber- ... 1e845cdbe8
They don't have any room for sub-boards, sockets etc. If you want a wooden box for a pi this one looked a lot nicer;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251442254115? ... 1423.l2648

unfortunately it's not currently listed but might be worth a message to the seller.

I'm building my rpi/hifiberry into one of these little boxes;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Projec ... 25829f3cb4

relocating the sockets I need to the back panel next to the Ethernet and usb. I'll post a picture or two in due course.

Ray