Raspberry Pi UPnP Music Renderer

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Great innit :)

Although I'm not running the stuff you are, I leave mine on for days. The server gets turned on and off, the controller on my phone leaves the house and yet when I come back, eveything picks up from where ever it was left.

I want to stick one in an old ghetto blaster where the cassette tape section is for portable tunes round the house.

The thing is our main music provider as I just don't get much time to sit down and listen to the main system. I'd love to have my vinyl ripped so I could listen to it round the house as background. Wouldn't have to be A1 quality. Time, time , time ....

cheers,

Stephen
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

izzy wizzy wrote:Great innit :)
Indeed it is Izzy.

I would say every bit as good as the squeezebox duet & touch I used to own, plus hi-rez. And all for less than £40!

It now seems such a waste to put the labtech speakers back in the spare room; I wonder if I can get a wireless signal in my garage?

Ray
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Ray P wrote:I would say every bit as good as the squeezebox duet & touch I used to own, plus hi-rez. And all for less than £40!Ray
You're a brave man :wink:

I did do a quick and dirty comparison to a Touch I have on loan vs the Pi with a £1.40 DAC on the main system. It wasn't Hi Rez but I couldn't really tell the difference. Maybe under more stringent conditions, things might be more noticeable but for what I want to use it for, that confirmed enough for me.

cheers,

Stephen
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I shall be joining you soon. I bought for GBP 29 Correct sign doesn't see to work, coes up with a ? Go figure.

Raspberry PI Model B 256Mb. (From the photo it has the Ethernet so it is a B. It seems the B first had 256Mb)
heatsink kit installed on the CPU and network chips. with microsd adapter fitted with an 8GB micro SD with an unconfigured raspbian installation. And finally a raspberry pi case.

I'll have to provide power. Ah, I have a 2amp one, more than enough.

Hope 256Mb is enough.

If it arrives during the week I can't do much about it, probably next Sunday afternoon is the first window of opportunity.

Now to figure out what power supply I need to make up.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:I shall be joining you soon. I bought for GBP 29 Correct sign doesn't see to work, coes up with a ? Go figure.

Raspberry PI Model B 256Mb. (From the photo it has the Ethernet so it is a B. It seems the B first had 256Mb)
heatsink kit installed on the CPU and network chips. with microsd adapter fitted with an 8GB micro SD with an unconfigured raspbian installation. And finally a raspberry pi case.

I'll have to provide power. Ah, I have a 2amp one, more than enough.

Hope 256Mb is enough.

If it arrives during the week I can't do much about it, probably next Sunday afternoon is the first window of opportunity.

Now to figure out what power supply I need to make up.
Paul, if you're going to use a hifiberry digi daughter board down the line you need to make sure it has the additional pcb pads to solder in the connector.

It sounds like you're buying a used RPi - a current spec board is less than £30?

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I got some extras.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote:Paul, if you're going to use a hifiberry digi daughter board down the line you need to make sure it has the additional pcb pads to solder in the connector.

Ray
I assume I can just usb connect a spdif and dac. Is it not that simple? You aren't going to tell me the software can't drive usb audio?
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:I assume I can just usb connect a spdif and dac. Is it not that simple? You aren't going to tell me the software can't drive usb audio?
That should be OK.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Good. Thank you.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Haven't tried this but it looks interesting
http://volumio.org/soundhome-multi-room-audio-system/

cheers,

Stephen
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Juggling a bit at the moment; Volumio on one RPi and Raspbian/GMediaRenderer on another.

I'm leaning towards the latter, based on upnp/dlna as it does seem to be more flexible and it's proving to be reliable.

Earlier on I installed the BubbleUPnP controller app on my android tablet and as I'm typing this I'm listening to Eleanor McEvoy on the tablet (OK, transcoded) streamed from my music server and I've also sent music to the RPi renderer and the WesterDigital LiveTV box. Bubble seems like a good app, not a hiccough so far; I think I'll pay the £3 for it sans adverts.

Ray
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

izzy wizzy wrote: So I have Pis in the man cave, the music room and the dining room that stream tunes from a VortexBox which is a NAS that stores tunes and rips CDs automatically.
Hi Stephen,

Which android apps do you use to control your picoreplayers?

Just curious as I finally got pico up and running on my Pi (I'd avoid 1.11 for a few more days, there's something a bit broken in the installer at the moment, 1.10 installs OK though).

Cheers
Simon
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Hi Simon,

I use 1.10. Didn't know about 1.11. I use the Logitech app on phone and tablet.

cheers,

Stephen
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

I've just pre-ordered s HiFiBerry Digi so I'll, hopefully, soon have an spdif output capable of up to 24bit 192KHz output from my RPi.

I asked a few questions about i2s in the context of the HiFiBerry and got this useful piece of additional information that might be of interest to others looking for an interface to an i2s DAC?

http://www.crazy-audio.com/2014/01/hifi ... pberry-pi/

I'm thinking, just substitute an alternative DAC for the HiFiBerry DAC.

I plan to experiment with the i2s signal from the digi to see if I can get it to hookup to the i2s sender board for my RAKK DAC.

Ray