Deleted

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Deleted

Post by Cressy Snr »

Deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Could you recommend some good Bruckner?

I have not got into this composer yet.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

'Good' is so subjective dear boy!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

andrew Ivimey wrote:'Good' is so subjective dear boy!
Yes I suppose it is.

How about can you recommend some recordings suitable for the listener trying to get into Bruckner? :)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

You have been deeply touched by recent events , I can see, Steve.
Interesting to hear your philosophy of the amp-building there.
It differs from mine in that I always have some sonic 'picture' of how the music could sound and be enhanced with the new circuit or modification. When it works out, that's great, but quite often you don't get what you expect, and then it takes me a while to re-orient myself and decide what to do next .

I don't know if Andrew is going to come up with any recommendations, but I will mention that ( rarely ) I bought a classical LP the other day on EBay . I was very impressed with the archive footage of Paul Tortelier ( Cello ) the other day on BBC4 , so I bought a 1956 recording ( Reissue ) of the Dvorak Cello Concerto conducted by Malcolm Sargent . Very fine - will be a good reference to use while working on the speakers, too .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well Mr C was asking specifically about Bruckner who is kinda a bridge from classical (ludwig van & brahms ) into Rick the man Wagner and the Romsntics. Now I would say, what do you want to get out of Bruckie; it's pleasant stuff but I don't go very far with HI'm. I only know the symphonies which are pleasant enough, imho.

Paul Tortellier and his protege Jacqueline du pre are a wonderous other kettle of fish!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Cheers chaps, I'll check out the symphonies.
that's the beauty of the preview function on the iTunes store.

And Jacqueline du Pre as Mr I says, is something else entirely, easily capable of bringing a tear to these sentimental old eyes :)

My philosophy Mark, is more similar to yours than you might think. I too have a sound in my head, that I try to get coming out of my speakers.
I have only recently been making good progress towards getting at it.

It is a world where thinness and shriek are anathema and big, full bodied tone, richness and solid sonic architecture are what it is all about.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Steve,

I have PM'd you regarding my challenge last night towards you on Mark's undergrowth thread that as you say has become trashed, although it hopefully is now recovering.

Regarding Anton Bruckner, as previously said, his symphonies are a good place to start. I would suggest Symphony No 4 'Romantic' as a first choice. The likelihood is that if you don't like this, you won't appreciate much of his other stuff.

I also completely commend anything recorded by Paul Tortelier and Jacqueline du Pre. Although principally a Cellist, Tortelier was also quite an accomplished flautist and later in life, a conductor as well.

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."