ALF Saying Hello to Prove I'm Real

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
ALF
New User

#1 ALF Saying Hello to Prove I'm Real

Post by ALF »

Greetings from Australia.
I am posting to prove that I am not spam.
(Mind you, I do like a bit of Spam - fried with baked beans and an egg - yum)
About me - what a tedious subject!
My user name is in upper case because those are my initials ... it was written in gold on my school satchel back in days long past, and it stuck with some people - (especially with cricketers I recall ... how often I heard the musical affectionate call that went along the lines of "Pull yer finger out ALF and hit the @**%$ you useless **&%#@*" ... ah happy days!)

I am in the Barossa Valley in South Australia - Australia's premium wine-growing region producing wines that don't need to be lain down and avoided.

I have been playing around with speakers and amps and things since the late 1960s ... I just can't help myself.
At present I run a system with a Weston Acoustics KT120 valve amp, a pair of home cooked open baffles (Visaton B200 and 2 Hawthorne Augies per side)... being tweaked as we speak.

I used to work in plant sciences, measuring ion transport across cell membranes, and looking at plant/water relations - walking many kilometres in the heat and dust of the outback.
After some kind of mid career U-turn I returned to study and am now a Lutheran Pastor approaching retirement.

I like all kinds of music (not rap etc, but I did say "music") ... I used to be like Austin Powers on steroids, but now I'm more an aged passive radiator with frayed surrounds.
No - that'll do ... I'm boring myself.
Cheers
ALF
Valves, open-baffles, happy ears.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

G'day ALF, nice to get an inverted perspective on the forum!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi, welcome, I use B200's in my OB's too, with a pair of 15" Eminence Alphas per channel.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi ALF,
KT120s eh....I love them and have built a nice balanced push-pull amp that uses them.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
death&texas
User

#5 Hi Alf, I am Al AKA death&texas

Post by death&texas »

Just trying to get something posted... my 15 picoseconds of FAME!