DSP

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
ed
retired

#1 DSP

Post by ed »

a quick rant about the future, specifically the popularity of DSP.

I've been using signal processing for many years in the recording environment, and it's been very effective in variously producing nice sounds, correcting errors, tightening wayward contributions etc. All very well, but I firmly believe it's the audio equivalent of the fairground 'hall of mirrors', it distorts the truth.

Recently there was a news item about a chap that had been entering various famous galleries and 'editing' old masters with paint, to suit his own preferences. Over the ages the masters have used the most modern techniques of paint manufacture, observation, interpretation etc etc, usually to the chagrin of their current critics. What they have produced are their own statements of what they see or what they feel. Artists are usually radical. If you don't agree, or don't like it, then produce your own to illustrate your preference...don't deface the original work and deprive future viewers from seeing what the artist wanted you to see......

I think that picture editing chap was using the art equivalent of a DSP.

The modern equivalent of the tone control, perhaps useful for high street hifi, but ulimately a distorter of the truth.

This is my feeling at the moment, it may change in the future, it does not address the issue of room processing.

rant over!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Ahhh. The truth, Grasshopper... what is the truth?

Realistically, is it the original sound in the studio, the sound at the input to the mixing desk, output from the studio monitors, pre-mix raw tracks, the producer's view, the sound engineer's view, whatever...

"truth" in a audio context is that which an individual hears first hand in front of the performers.

Anything else is an artifice coloured by any number of third-parties and any amount of intervening hardware and software.

Bah!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt