Dac mods

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
al newall
Needs to get out more

#1 Dac mods

Post by al newall »

Recent additions to the Lampizator website include using tantalum caps to bypass electrolytics on the CS 4397 dac board.

As this will likely be my next move, i thought i'd ask if anyone has any thoughts on this.
Would i perhaps be better sticking to MKP or other types?

Don't have any experience of tants, and this PCB might not take kindly to repeated changes so i'd like to go for the best option first.
Much to learn there is.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

From what I've been reading recently its probably a waste of time. What are the lytics doing in the cct, coupling? bypassing?
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I would have thought polyprops would be better than tants, but it could be a size thing...you may end up with metallized polyprops which might be a closer comparison to tants.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

The lytics are generally coupling or supply caps, each is bypassed with a surface mount. The tants/mkp caps are bypassing the surface mounts.

I will probably use mkp, as i already have them. Worth asking though because tants rarely get mentioned.
Much to learn there is.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

OK, if any are used in decoupling the DAC and other cct parts I suggest you have a read of this from Guido Tent:

http://www.tentlabs.com/InfoSupport/pag ... upling.pdf

I've read elswhere similar information. You may be better to replace the 'lytic with a quaility part (Os-Con, BG-FK) or add a ferrite bead in series with the existing 'lytic.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

Thanks Neal,

Great article! Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers,
Tony