scary music server

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Nick wrote:What LANG is your telnet client using.
did you mean 'what is env variable LANG set to?' snigger, jus kiddin.....

LANG is unset in my shell, so I set it( I think I did)....

edit: I tried changing $LC_CTYPE as well and tried fr_FR.UTF-8 ...no change
Attachments
set-lang.jpg
Last edited by ed on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I've sussed it!

Get rid of all that wafty ol' frenchie-type music and everything will be OK!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Dave the bass wrote:I've sussed it!

DTB
yeah yeah...but going back to the original problem(files not showing) some of the arcade fire tracks disappeared as well....

this question mark bizniz in putty is just sideline entertainment, although it still might be connected.

see, you made me go all serious, stop it!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote:I've sussed it!

DTB
That did occur to me too. :lol:

If I have possible probs with 'funny characters' in file names I usually just resort to remove them / rename in plain English. I've also had probs with symbols in file names, like copyright & registered signs etc.

Just found this on the putty web site: PuTTY Change Log

"Bug fix: font linking (the automatic use of other fonts on the system to provide Unicode characters not present in the selected one) should now work again on Windows, after being broken in 0.58. (However, it unfortunately still won't work for Arabic and other right-to-left text.)"

And... [These features were new in beta 0.52 (released 2002-01-14): ]

"Unicode support in the terminal emulator. In the first place this allows us to support servers which actually send UTF-8 down their terminal sessions; but the architecture changes also mean that instead of specifying the local and remote character sets in the Translation panel, you simply specify what character set you expect the server to be talking, and PuTTY handles the rest automatically. Many thanks to Robert de Bath"

Sounds complicated to me!

'?' in Windows and DOS means wildcard any character, but never in a file name, if I remember rightly a real '?' as the actual first character of a stored file tells DOS that it's deleted.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

Post by ed »

thanks Mike

I don't think it's Putty because I've tried the win7 telnet the Xfce/xubuntu/ubuntu telnet and they all do the same thing, i.e print ?.

I think Nick might be closest, but I really don't think it's necessary to labour this one......

summary of original problem:

1. windows explorer stopped showing some random files on the buffalo server.
2. all missing files on explorer were identified as having accented characters in the filename.
3. all missing files on explorer were visible on linux via telnet, albeit with ? character in place of original accent character.
4. erasing the directory with some files in question on the server and reloading as per previous post with exhibits...made all files reappear in windows/explorer, accents and all.
5. still cant see the original files that disappeared on window explorer.

new server will have to be loaded from backup because can't copy the missing files using explorer because explorer can't see them. Copying the holding directory doesn't include them either.

I'm happy to let this one die.....and blame aliens

many thanks for looking chaps

edit: there is irony here...with the exception of Francis Cabrel and some mozart and mendlessohn all the files in question belong to the boss, and she never listens...mmmm...I might have another cunning plan coming

considering the little box wasn't meant to be probed, penetrated and hacked in the first place, I don't suppose I can complain after nearly eight years of perfect 24/7 service.

and I think it's cost somewhere in the region of £100 to run over that period...say £15 per year...not bad really