Hello from Suffolk

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Itchy & Scratchy
User

Post by Itchy & Scratchy »

steve s wrote:
steve s wrote:
Wow.. Those are fantastic. My vitavox/ goodmans drivers where from a cinema set up, but i would guess nothing like those...
Welcome...
Hi Steve,

I couldn't resist when I saw them advertised.... Both the front and internal door frames required modifications (with a saw) to get them in though :D

I am extremely lucky to have an easy going Missus (re: Itchy).... the lack of a Front Door on the house, for a couple of hours, late at night, whilst we took delivery.... required a few hanging fly papers....
Too many interests, not enough time or money!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Itchy & Scratchy wrote:
I have noticed several posts by 'pre65' who lives in the same village that had the 'Red Cow ' where I learned how to drink.... been shut some twenty years now!
Hi there, the pub was closed before I moved to Ashen in 1991. :wink:

Where are you ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Itchy & Scratchy
User

Hi Philip (pre65),
With regards to the 'Red Cow', it is surprising how the years pass... thinking about this, it was the early eighties when I used to be a regular!
I still live, work and very occasionally drink within a few miles today :)
Will send you a pm
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I can see some benefit in blending an 883a amp with your spekers at one of the levels!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Itchy & Scratchy
User

Paul Barker wrote:I can see some benefit in blending an 883a amp with your spekers at one of the levels!
Hi Paul,
I was not familiar with the 883a amp, so I checked out a project build on the forum and followed this link:
www.tubelab.com/833SE.htm
I have already acquired the amplifiers for my Mid & Bass channels, otherwise I may have been tempted to give the 883a amp a go! I want to persue a flea power SE design for the Treble. Thanks for the suggestion though :-)

My 211 Push Pull Monoblocks are similar to a project build on the forum. I have been informed that Andy Grove had a part in the development and that the build was featured in Hifi World.
They consist of two behemoth chrome chassis and are equipped with:
2x 211 Output Valve
6072A Input Valve
E182 CC Driver
U19 Rectifier
E281 Small Rectifier
... any info anybody?
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

You mean two 211's per channel I presume?

The 833a doesn't have to be a massive bohemoth, anyone who has built with it at low voltages such as 500v with no negative bias really enjoys the sound. These days you can buy SMPS's capable of heating it quite cheaply; granted a special filament supply would be better the package as a whole without attention to such detail beats most other amplifiers in it's class.

You have midrange catered for though.

Mark (Island Pink) is on a triamping project, I don't recall what he is using for top end. We often think when considering top end a nice little 45 amp. But CV (I can't spell his surname, just call him CV or Chris) brought up that you need more power than you would think to do the top end, when we were having a chat about all these matters following my life changing experience listening top Dr Edgar's Tightans'. Chris's plans then were to have air core output transformers wound for the top end, then in the next breath he asked me if I would like to wind them for him. (I was winding my own stuff at that time). Err, no thanks! Give me an easy one not a ground breaking one! Don't know if he ever found anyone willing to trash his reputation as a winder attempting it. I would rather do what I know well and get a name for that before doing the thing noone has yet done as an early project.

But I think I would settle for Permaloy on the tweeters, but the nation who invented permaloy is the hardest place in the world to find it. It has to be imported from nations I don't trust, they could send me anything. No thank you.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Itchy & Scratchy
User

Hi Paul,

The valve count is for each channel.

The sensitivity of my EAW's is:
Treble: 111
Mid: 109
Bass: 103

The combination of amplifiers will have to provide synergy between the channels, I would prefer not to have to compensate overly for mismatches of SPL with the crossover.

To calculate SPL at the listening position I use the following (which saves on maths):
myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

It does appear that I should be able to exceed 115 db with my system, well within the capabilities of the speakers :twisted:

I will, without doubt, be looking for advice some time in the future, thanks!

Regards,
Dean.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Itchy & Scratchy wrote:Hi Paul,

The valve count is for each channel.

The sensitivity of my EAW's is:
Treble: 111
Mid: 109
Bass: 103

The combination of amplifiers will have to provide synergy between the channels, I would prefer not to have to compensate overly for mismatches of SPL with the crossover.

I will, without doubt, be looking for advice some time in the future, thanks!

Regards,
Dean.
I am not experienced at achieving what you are aiming for. Many have tried and failed, whether they have self awareness of that or not.

But be very careful not to stray too close to the HT crowd.:shock:

If I could even achieve a synergy with my single driver I would be pleased. Does it go like probability theory? Huge number of possibilities which each extra factor? Many years ago I studied probability but have no will to be acurate in that world now..
Yours is a path few among us have trod, more than a few have desired, most not taken one step, myself in that camp.

Keep it real, come away from HT forums for your own good. (James D will probably put me straight it is his world professionally) But then how come he just has Quasars' and how come they stole the show for me yesterday and for me they always do? YMMV :wink:

And yet me and Mark have tried and failed to re-create that at home. Something we were only grieving about yesterday. We have decided it is the perspex. But what a costly matter should we be wrong about that?

I tried to get James to sell me his Quasars for tuppence halfpeny only yesterday. But I am home without them.

My speakers sound good enough at home anyway.

You are like us and to us a pioneer. We are pioneers in some small way among ourselves in other areas, and some like Ali and Mark are delving in the murky waters of active amping. Good luck, you'll need it.

Some would think even having a push pull 211 to contend with would be enough of a challenge to set you up for frequent bouts of tantrums and crying :D

When I was in a world where the horrible American model of positive thinking garbage was powerful, where you set goals and wrote them down and spoke them out loud and pretended (sory, "told everyone") you already had your goals (which was a lie). In that world they say "make your goals achievable, something realistic and step up each time you achieve a goal.

Or away from the high pressure high octane bizarre American psoitive thinking model: "Baby steps!"
slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

Dean, you got my attention with the PP 211s,
and since I didn't know what kind of speakers EAW MC4973 is
I did a google search and found the thread at Wigwam + a data sheet on the speakers. Should be just about right in a normal living room that!
:shock: :D
- Jan -
Itchy & Scratchy
User

Hi Paul,

Don't worry no Home Theatre interest here.... only utilised their SPL calculator :-)

For me Hi-fi is a journey.... and I want to end up somewhere different.... somewhere I've not been before..... hope that I'll like it.... if not, I'm enjoying getting there :-)

Might want to pick your brains here and there mind ;-)
Itchy & Scratchy
User

slowmotion wrote:Dean, you got my attention with the PP 211s,
and since I didn't know what kind of speakers EAW MC4973 is
I did a google search and found the thread at Wigwam + a data sheet on the speakers. Should be just about right in a normal living room that!
:shock: :D
I'm lucky to have an easy going Missus hey?!
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Itchy & Scratchy wrote:Hi Paul,

Don't worry no Home Theatre interest here.... only utilised their SPL calculator :-)

Phew

;-) :lol:

don't pick my bwains about speakers, but ask on here many greater minds than mine on here.
:idea:
Might we one day see your progress at Owston :?:
Itchy & Scratchy
User

We would love to have attended Owston this year, but for other commitments!

Look forward to meeting some of the forum members next year, all being well!

In the mean time will be checking out the Owston thread updates, uploaded pictures etc :-)