Greetings from Nottingham

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 Greetings from Nottingham

Post by vinylnvalves »

I will introduce myself. A number of you may know me from other forums where i use the same name. Like alot i am a DIYer always meddling tweeking my system, most of the time making it sound worse!!
I am currently trying to build a speaker system around the Beyma TPL (I brought them to Owston last year - In big horns). Currently i am using altec 414z's in Onkens, with some JBL 2482's in 200Hz horns for the rest of the system.
I am trying to improve the bottom end, which decays around 50 hz's with the Onkens. For this purpose i have 8 Kef b139's which i am trying to decide what to do with - to give that bottom end presence i desire.

I will be starting a thread for the bass ( subs?) that i propose to make using 4 B139's a channel. Its an experiement so all input will be welcome.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I like the idea of bass drivers measured by the square foot!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

yeah but no but ... imho B139s are slow (when compared to what, okay) By the square foot is impressive indeed but unless 'tuned' right they can be one note wonders. p'raps you know this and are in control ummmm so I'd better shutup ;-)

good luck!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

Post by vinylnvalves »

The b139's being slow was one of my concerns, especially when trying to keep up with compression drivers and AMT's. The question that begs to be asked is how do you tune them right? I had been thinking of either trying them in some of Scott's push pull TL or in PPSL, i would ideally like them to get up as far as 200hz where its practical for a front loaded horn to take over.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

'sfunny you should mentioon AMTs because back in the 60s the original company to use Heil AMTs was ESS in Sacremento and they used B139s for the bass unit in their speakers. They stopped using B139s (imho) because they were too expensive to import. Next they used paper coned 12 inch bass units which were 'rather good' and after that came the heavy polypropyene versions which, were not good - just cheap. But ESS went on manufacturing their speakers using three different versions of AMTs with three different versions of the very splendid and worthwhile Heil Grand Masters.

The original Heil patent on AMT which ESS bought has now run out. Elac and Beyma took up the challenge and we are also seeing versions coming from ... China too.

I'd love a pair of Beymas. I have had a pair of Elac AMTs and found them not very sensitive but still have three pairs of Grand Masters
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Nice to see you here Steve, I have a pair of Thosse kef thingys in a nice pair of concerto's , they may speed up a little in an open baffle ,probabley worth a punt building a chipboard H frame...other than that I've no suggestions for them.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

Post by vinylnvalves »

Steve Thanks for the advice - not sure about open baffle, will lose the bottom end which is all that i want these for.

I have a number of these which could be used as passive radiators, as i think i remember somewhere that they would nearly be as fast as a IB.

I will start a thread about whats the options for these drivers, or if they are just boat anchors.

As you know Steve i can waste chipboard experimenting until the cows come home!!